Post-doctoral position in applied microbiology
Lund University, Faculty of Engineering, Department of Chemistry
Lund University was founded in 1666 and is repeatedly ranked among the world’s top 100 universities. The University has 40 000 students and more than 8 000 staff based in Lund, Helsingborg and Malmö. We are united in our efforts to understand, explain and improve our world and the human condition.
LTH forms the Faculty of Engineering at Lund University, with approximately 9 000 students. The research carried out at LTH is of a high international standard and we are continuously developing our teaching methods and adapting our courses to current needs.
Subject description About two third of plastics in packaging is within the food sector, which highlights the urgent need of developing processes using bio-based and biodegradable polymers as food packaging material. In the present study, non-conventional yeasts are characterised for their metabolic potential to accumulate specific metabolites. Selected candidate yeast(s) will be metabolically engineered to rewire the metabolism towards the target compound. This includes the establishment of CRISPR technology, dedicated gene cassettes and transformation techniques in the selected host(s). The generated recombinant strain(s) will be assessed under process relevant conditions for the production of the targeted biopolymer precursor.
Work duties The main duties involved in the post-doctoral position is to conduct research. Work duties also include, but are not limited to, the following tasks:
Research within the subject area
- Teaching in the first, second and third cycles of studies, but up to no more than 20% of working hours. The position also includes the opportunity for training in higher education teaching and learning.
- Supervision of degree projects and doctoral students
- Collaboration with industry and wider society
- Administration related to the work duties listed above
Qualification requirements Appointment to a post-doctoral position requires that the applicant has a PhD, or an international degree deemed equivalent to a PhD, within the subject of the position, completed no more than three years before the last date for applications. Under special circumstances, the doctoral degree can have been completed earlier.
- Previous experience with molecular biology, including CRISPR technology applied to yeasts
- Practical and theoretical knowledge of yeast physiology applied to the metabolic engineering of yeasts (if possible for xylose utilisation)
- Practical knowledge of omics applied to metabolic engineering
- Excellent skills in bioinformatics applied to genomics and/or transcriptomics
- Very good oral and written proficiency in English; a good command of Swedish is also considered useful for the teaching activities.
- Assessment criteria and other qualifications This is a career development position primarily focused on research. The position is intended as an initial step in a career, and the assessment of the applicants will primarily be based on their research qualifications and potential as researchers. Particular emphasis will be placed on research skills within the subject.
For appointments to a post-doctoral position, the following shall form the assessment criteria:
- Recorded ability to develop and conduct high quality and independent research.
- Teaching skills.
Additional assessment criteria:
- Documented expertise in the scientific requirements stated above (molecular biology in yeasts (including CRISPR technology); yeast physiology applied to the metabolic engineering of yeasts; omics applied to metabolic engineering); excellent skills in bioinformatics applied to genomics and/or transcriptomics.
Consideration will also be given to good collaborative skills, drive and independence, and how the applicant’s experience and skills complement and strengthen ongoing research within the department, and how they stand to contribute to its future development.
Terms of employment This is a full-time, fixed-term employment of a maximum of 2 years. The period of employment is determined in accordance with the agreement “Avtal om tidsbegränsad anställning som postdoktor” (“Agreement on fixed-term employment as a post-doctoral fellow”) between Lund University, SACO-S, OFR/S and SEKO, dated 4 September 2008.
Instructions on how to apply Applications shall be written in English. Please draw up the application in accordance with LTH’s Academic qualifications portfolio – see link below. Upload the application as PDF-files in the recruitment system. Read more: http://www.lth.se/english/working-at-lth/to-apply-for-academic-positions-at-lth/
Lund University welcomes applicants with diverse backgrounds and experiences. We regard gender equality and diversity as a strength and an asset. We kindly decline all sales and marketing contacts.