Senior Lecturer in Engineering Management and Logistics
School of Engineering and the Built Environment
Location: Birmingham, England
Salary: £46,376 to £50,408 per annum
Closing Date: Friday 02 October 2020
Interview Date: To be confirmed
Located in a modern £300m campus in the heart of Birmingham, at the City Centre Campus, the School of Engineering and the Built Environment is a thriving, vibrant, and inspiring learning community committed to excellence in research, high quality teaching and impactful industrial engagement. Building on continuous success in the growth in our academic portfolio alongside our sustained advancement in research activity, the School continues to be ambitious in its strategic vision and seeks talented individuals to join our team.
We invite applications to join our team in a dynamic, multidisciplinary environment. The role will involve delivery of our Engineering courses particularly related to the Engineering Management, Logistics and Supply Chain Expertise. You will join a strong school wide team delivering successful, professionally accredited, undergraduate and postgraduate programmes in engineering utilising well-equipped purpose built facilities. We are a practice-based school, our undergraduate programmes are delivered using the CDIO (Conceive, Design, Implement and Operate) framework, making our teaching and research relevant to the evolving world around us. We work in a collaborative and cross disciplinary culture where interacting freely across the school and with colleagues in other schools is encouraged to gain a unique insight into impactful problem domains.
We seek an individual capable of teaching and undertaking research aligned to the research activities of the school that cut across engineering and the built environment.
MAIN DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES INCLUDE:
- Providing an excellent student experience.
- Acting in accord with the University’s strategy, policy and procedures.
- Use appropriate learning, teaching, support and assessment methods.
- Teaching at undergraduate and postgraduate levels
- Setting and marking of assessments and providing constructive feedback and feedforward.
- Management, administration and development of the course provision within the school.
- Reflective practice as a method for improving performance.
- Participate in outreach activities to aid in recruitment.
- Pursuing research leading to high quality publications
- Seeking external funding for research
- Supervising higher degree students
- Contributing to curriculum development.
- Addressing the pastoral needs of students
- Participating in academic-related administration.
SKILLS AND EXPERIENCE
- A good first degree and PhD in the subject field
- Recent industry or equivalent academic experience
- Applicants should have demonstrated excellent teaching in higher education or have presented regularly to technical audiences in an industry setting.
- Potential to develop and sustain externally funded research work
- Potential or track record of publishing in high quality refereed journals
- Ability to teach and supervise undergraduate and postgraduate students
- Ability to build collaborative internal and external relationships
- Excellent communication skills and experience of successfully working as part of a team.
- Experience of managing and supervising master’s level dissertations
- Subject expertise in a range of the following:
- Project Management Methods
- Prince II - application & demonstration
- Procurement and Contract Law
- Research Methods
- International Operations & Logistics OR Supply Chain Management and Strategic Planning
- Have a strong record of research and research publications.
- Strong project, logistics or supply chain management background with knowledge of relevant industrial standards and technical requirements.
- Track record of successful networking and community management.
- Interest in cross disciplinary collaboration.
- A proven record of attracting research funding and partnering across areas of practice.
With around 24,000 students from 80 countries, Birmingham City University is a large and diverse place to study. We put students at the heart of everything we do, giving them the best opportunities for future success. The University has an enviable reputation for providing quality, student-focused education in a professional and friendly environment. Our superb courses, state-of-the-art facilities, first-rate staff, and focus on practical skills and professional relevance is producing some of the country’s most employable graduates.
Our staff and student community is defined by our core values, which outline who we are as a University and how we will work with each other. Our core values are Excellence, People focused, Partnership working and Fairness and integrity.
To apply for this position, please complete the online application and upload a copy of your CV. Candidates are advised to remove personal information to ensure a clear and transparent recruitment process.
CLOSING DATE FOR ADVERT AND APPLICATIONS - FRIDAY 02 OCTOBER 2020
Applications from job seekers who require Tier 2 sponsorship to work in the UK are welcome and will be considered alongside all other applications. However, non-EEA candidates may not be appointed to a post if a suitably qualified, experienced and skilled EU/EEA candidate is available to take up the post as the employing body is unlikely, in these circumstances, to satisfy the Resident Labour Market Test. The UK Visas and Immigration department requires employers to complete this test to show that no suitably qualified EEA or EU worker can fill the post. For further information please visit the UK Visas and Immigration website.
Please note on occasions where we receive a large number of applications, we may close the advert ahead of the publicised closing date. If this does happen, we will contact all candidates via email who have started but not yet completed their application, giving 48 hours’ notice. We would therefore advise that you submit your completed application as soon as possible.