Research Associate / Fellow in Health Economics
We are looking to provide health economics inputs and analysis for projects within the AI Centre for Value Based Healthcare (AI4VBH), Wellcome/EPSRC Centre for Medical Engineering (CME) and the King's Technology Evaluation Centre (KiTEC). The role will largely be based within the School of Biomedical Engineering and Imaging Sciences at St Thomas' Hospital but with management and support from the King's Health Economics team at the Denmark Hill campus. The job provides an opportunity to lead inputs in cost analyses, economic evaluations alongside trials, modelling, health technology assessment of medical devices and other large studies. The post will play a pivotal role in helping define innovative models and evaluation to facilitate the development of valuable AI technologies and to maximise their impact for patients and the healthcare economy.
The Centres promote a culture of independent thinking, teamwork, and scientific excellence. Excellent written communication skills are paramount. This is an opportunity to have a role in influencing the adoption of healthcare innovation at an international level. This post offers an excellent opportunity to gain experience to a wide range of HTA methods in the rapidly-evolving fields of medical devices and digital health technology.
Please get in touch for an informal chat before applying.
Full-time - 35 hours per week.
Fixed-term until 27 April 2022.
- Provide researchers within the Centres with health economics advice as part of a designated team.
- Conduct in-depth reviews of economic models submitted by manufacturers.
- Conduct in-depth reviews of other economic evidence (e.g. systematic reviews) submitted by manufacturers or found in literature.
- Develop new economic models if and when required.
- Conduct and report on new systematic reviews of economic evidence, if and when required.
- Maintain compliance with all pertinent legislation in all activities.
- Contribute to the design of economic evaluations of healthcare interventions.
- Development, testing and implementation of methods for the collection of economic data
- Data management and costing of economic data
- Development of economic decision analytic models
- Statistical analysis of economic data
- Writing up results of evaluations for reports to funders
- Dissemination of findings
- Contribute to the development of assessment strategies for new medical technologies
- Work independently to achieve the agreed project goals.
- Contribute to the dissemination of scientific results by means of writing or contributing to papers for publication, presenting orally and in poster form at internal and external meetings, seminars and conferences
- Any other duties as appropriate to the grade, as directed by the supervisor
- Liaise with colleagues within King's College London and with project partners to effectively deliver each project
- Communicate with multidisciplinary teams of engineers, physicists, biologists and clinicians within the Centre for Medical Engineering, King's Health Economics and more widely
- Communicate information of a complex nature both orally and in writing in regular meetings
- Assist in organising regular project planning meetings with research teams in addition to attending group meetings organised by others
- Keep colleagues informed of developments in the recent literature
- Provide information and updates for reports as required by the Centre
Decision Making, Planning and Problem Solving:
- Contribute to collaborative decision making with colleagues within research teams
- Work independently with appropriate supervision
- Ensure projects are kept to timetable and reports/ papers are delivered on time
- Act as a point of contact for Health Economics advice for the Centres
Analysis & Research:
- To contribute to a range of projects that require health economic expertise as described above
Team Work & Learning Support:
- Option to support the training of undergraduate and postgraduate students
- Work with colleagues on joint projects as required
- Write or contribute to publications and disseminate research finding using appropriate media
- Collaborate with academic and industrial colleagues on areas of shared research interest
- Develop contacts internally and externally, building networks and relationships to ensure effective collaboration
- To liaise with the core Centre team to provide input into grant applications
- Form part of a team, along with another Health Economist and Medical Statisticians, to provide researchers within the Centres with health economics and statistical advice.
- Work with the rest of the KiTEC team to provide HTA as required
Sensory/Physical Demands & Work Environment:
- Use of computers and time spent at monitors
The above list of responsibilities may not be exhaustive, and the post holder will be required to undertake such tasks and responsibilities as may reasonably be expected within the scope and grading of the post.