Lecturer/Assistant Professor, National Centre For Geocomputation
- Full Time
Department: Ncg – National Centre For Geocomputation
Vacancy ID: 006681
Closing Date: 14-Aug-2020
Maynooth University is committed to a strategy in which the primary University goals of excellent research and scholarship and outstanding education are interlinked and equally valued. We are seeking a candidate who would sustain the NCG’s strong reputation in the area of spatial data analytics, geocomputational data science and spatial data visualisation, and contribute to this reputation with novel research in this area. The position will be situated in the NCG but anchored to the Department of Geography. The person appointed will be expected to contribute to general activity in this department, including contribution to postgraduate teaching. The person appointed will also be expected to be fully committed to work in a manner respectful of the diversity of our staff and student body. The NCG and the Department of Geography are committed to the principles of the Athena SWAN charter.
More specifically, we would expect a successful applicant to:
- Contribute to research in spatial data analysis, with a focus on social and economic (or possibly humanities) applications, in areas such as (but not exclusively) deprivation, housing, transport, health, crime or climate change.
- Provide input in terms of publication and the acquisition of research funding for work in these areas
- Contribute to development of methodology of techniques applied in these areas, through at least one of the development of analytical techniques or the development of open source software tools.
- Support the NCGs effort to promote open and reproducible approaches to data analysis.
- Contribute to the NCG’s input to teaching at postgraduate level, in the areas of geographical information science and data analytics. The balance of research and teaching responsibilities will be subject to review on an ongoing basis after three years.
Lecturer (Post 1995): €53,774 – €84,544 p.a. (7 points)
Assistant Lecturer (2019): €34,065 – €59,789 p.a. (14 points)
Appointment will be made in accordance with the Department of Finance pay guidelines.
New entrants to the public sector will be appointed on the first point of the Assistant Lecturer (2019) payscale or the Lecturer (Post 1995) payscale.
Closing Date: 23:30 hrs (local Irish time) on Friday, 14th August 2020.
Applications must be submitted by the closing date and time specified above. Any applications which are still in progress at the closing time on the specified closing date will be cancelled automatically by the system.
Late applications will not be accepted.
Maynooth University is an equal opportunities employer
The position is subject to the Statutes of the University