Assistant Professor, Department of Condensed Matter Physics
Dean of the Faculty of Science, Masaryk University announces an open competition for the position Assistant professor
Workplace: Department of Condensed Matter Physics Faculty of Science, Masaryk University in Brno, Czech Republic
Type of Contract: academic position
Working Hours: full-time employment
Expected Start Date: by agreement
Number of Open Positions: 1
Application Deadline: 07.08. 2020
About the Workplace
Masaryk University is the second-largest university in the Czech Republic with nine faculties, more than 5000 staff, and more than 30 000 students. As a comprehensive research-intensive university with a strong international standing, our mission is to pursue top-quality research and education.
Faculty of Science MU, a proud holder of the HR Excellence in Research Award by the European Commission, is a research-oriented faculty, offering university education (Bachelor’s, Master’s, and Doctoral degree programs) closely linked to both primary and applied research and high school teaching of the following sciences: Mathematics, Physics, Chemistry, Biology, and Earth sciences. We are the most productive scientific unit of the Masaryk University generating around 40 % of MU research results.
Research activities of the Department of Condensed Matter Physics at the Faculty of Science, MU include experimental and theoretical studies of structural and electronic properties of solids and biomolecules. The department is responsible for a considerable part of Bc, MSc and PhD study programs in Physics, in particular for specialized courses in condensed matter physics and biophysics.
- Teaching specialized courses in condensed matter physics, supervision of MSc and PhD theses.
- Research in the field of experimental condensed matter physics with focus on magnetism in oxides and nanomagnetism, in collaboration with physicists of the Department of Condensed Matter Physics, Faculty of Science, Masaryk University.
Skills and Qualifications
- PhD or its equivalent in condensed matter physics or in a related field of study.
- Teaching experience of at least 10 years. The applicant will be expected to participate in teaching specialized courses in condensed matter physics and to supervise MSc and PhD theses.
- Publication activity: the applicant is expected to have a very good publishing and citation record, at least 50 publications registered in the Thomson Reuters Web of Science.
- Strong background in experimental condensed matter physics with focus on magnetic properties of oxides and nanomagnetism. The applicant will be expected to conduct research in this field in collaboration with physicists of the Department of Condensed Matter Physics, Faculty of Science, Masaryk University.
- Postdoctoral or other international research experience.
- Experience in leading a research group (at least five years).
- Principal investigator of funded research projects in recent 5 years.
- An interesting job in a dynamically-expanding university area.
- Flexible working hours and occasional home office to support personal needs in family and career compatibility.
- Various employee benefits such as 8 weeks of paid vacation per year, pension insurance contribution, contribution to lunches in canteens of MU or meal vouchers, discounted language courses, discount in the university cinema, exclusive mobile tariff offer by Vodafone
- Opportunity to work and live in a modern and dynamic city
- Support with your relocation to Brno by our International Staff Office
The application shall be submitted online by 07.08. 2020 via an e-application. (Please, use the link in the e-Application section below).
The candidate shall provide following:
- Cover letter describing candidate's research interest and experience
- Summary of research outputs and publications
- Names and contact details of at least 3 references.
After submitting your application successfully, you will receive an automatic confirmation email from jobs.muni.cz.
Received applications will be considered carefully in line with principles of the EU Charter and Code for Researchers. Selection criteria: (i) meeting qualification requirements described above, (ii) all required documents provided.
Shortlisted candidates will be invited for a personal or Skype interview.
The Faculty Recruitment Policy (OTM-R) can be seen here.
Faculty of Science, Masaryk University is an equal opportunity employer. We support diversity and are committed to creating an inclusive environment for all employees.
We are looking forward to hearing from you!
doc. Mgr. Tomáš Kašparovský, Ph.D. dean of the Faculty of Science