Posdoctoral Fellow Advanced refrigeration and heat pumping systems
About the position
A Postdoctoral Fellow position is available at the Department of Energy and Process Engineering (EPT) on the subject of “Advanced refrigeration and heat pumping systems”. The position will be within the refrigeration research team at EPT, with responsibility in ongoing and future research and development projects.
The position has a duration of four years. The candidate will work in a team with the other researchers, post-docs, PhD candidates and master students.
The Head of Department is Professor Terese Løvås. The day-to-day position management and supervision is by Professor Armin Hafner.
Duties of the position
The background for the position is ongoing research projects in the field of refrigeration and heat pumping system and the development of cold thermal storage devices. The team has several laboratory facilities which are applied in the research. The refrigeration team is also developing dynamic simulation tools for component, process and system development and evaluation. A strong background knowledge in modelling is a required expertise for this position.
Additionally, the candidates should be able to:
- develop successful research proposals;
- manage and contribute to ongoing research work;
- develop dynamic numerical models for analyzing the energy performance and operational strategies for innovative refrigeration and heat pumping technologies including thermal storage.
Required selection criteria
- A postdoctoral research fellowship is a qualification position in which the main objective is qualification for work in academic positions. You must have completed a Norwegian doctoral degree in mechanical engineering and refrigeration and heat pumping technology or corresponding foreign doctoral degree recognized as equivalent to a Norwegian doctoral degree is required.
- Strong basic knowledge related to thermodynamics, heat-and mass transfer, and refrigeration and heat pumping systems also with respect to understanding of system- and process integration issues.
- Proven experience on laboratory activities in the field of refrigeration and heat pump systems. The candidate must be able to design and perform experimental campaigns and analyze experimental data.
- Programming and dynamic simulation knowledge. The candidate must have good programming skills.
- Process engineering / Modelling and Analysis.
- Excellent communication skills in scientific writing and oral presentations are needed. Applicants from non-English speaking countries outside Europe must document English skills by an approved test. Approved tests are TOEFL, IELTS, and Cambridge Certificate in Advanced English (CAE) or Cambridge Certificate of Proficiency in English (CPE). Excellent English skills, spoken and written, are required
If, for any reason, you have taken a career break or have had an atypical career and wish to disclose this in your application, the selection committee will take this into account, recognizing that the quantity of your research may be reduced as a result.
The appointment is to be made in accordance with the regulations in force concerning State Employees and Civil Servants and national guidelines for appointment as PhD, post doctor and research assistant.
Preferred selection criteria
- Due to some laboratory work, proficiency in Norwegian is an advantage if the candidate can communicate in basic Norwegian.
- exciting and stimulating tasks in a strong international academic environment
- an open and inclusive work environment with dedicated colleagues
- favourable terms in the Norwegian Public Service Pension Fund
- employee benefits
Salary and conditions
The employment period is four years.
Postdoctoral candidates are placed in code 1352, and are normally remunerated at gross from NOK 542 400 per annum before tax, depending on qualifications and seniority. From the salary, 2% is deducted as a contribution to the Norwegian Public Service Pension Fund.
The engagement is to be made in accordance with the regulations in force concerning State Employees and Civil Servants, and the acts relating to Control of the Export of Strategic Goods, Services and Technology. Candidates who by assessment of the application and attachment are seen to conflict with the criteria in the latter law will be prohibited from recruitment to NTNU. After the appointment you must assume that there may be changes in the area of work.
The position is subject to external funding.
It is a prerequisite you can be present at and accessible to the institution daily.
About the application
The application and supporting documentation to be used as the basis for the assessment must be in English.
Publications and other scientific work must follow the application. Please note that applications are only evaluated based on the information available on the application deadline. You should ensure that your application shows clearly how your skills and experience meet the criteria which are set out above.
The application must include:
- CV, certificates and diplomas
- Academic works - published or unpublished - that you would like to be considered in the assessment
- Name and address of three referees
Joint works will be considered. If it is difficult to identify your contribution to joint works, you must attach a brief description of your participation.
In the evaluation of which candidate is best qualified, emphasis will be placed on education, experience and personal suitability.
NTNU is committed to following evaluation criteria for research quality according to The San Francisco Declaration on Research Assessment - DORA.
A good work environment is characterized by diversity. We encourage qualified candidates to apply, regardless of their gender, functional capacity or cultural background.
The city of Trondheim is a modern European city with a rich cultural scene. Trondheim is the innovation capital of Norway with a population of 200,000. The Norwegian welfare state, including healthcare, schools, kindergartens and overall equality, is probably the best of its kind in the world. Professional subsidized day-care for children is easily available. Furthermore, Trondheim offers great opportunities for education (including international schools) and possibilities to enjoy nature, culture and family life and has low crime rates and clean air quality.
As an employee at NTNU, you must at all times adhere to the changes that the development in the subject entails and the organizational changes that are adopted.
Information Act (Offentleglova), your name, age, position and municipality may be made public even if you have requested not to have your name entered on the list of applicants.
If you have any questions about the position, please contact Professor Armin Hafner, firstname.lastname@example.org.
Please submit your application electronically via jobbnorge.no with your CV, diplomas and certificates. Applications submitted elsewhere will not be considered. Diploma Supplement is required to attach for European Master Diplomas outside Norway. Chinese applicants are required to provide confirmation of Master Diploma from China Credentials Verification (CHSI).
If you are invited for interview you must include certified copies of transcripts and reference letters. Please refer to the application number IV-159/20 when applying.
Application deadline: 28.07.2020
NTNU - knowledge for a better world
The Norwegian University of Science and Technology (NTNU) creates knowledge for a better world and solutions that can change everyday life.
Department of Energy and Process Engineering
We conduct research and teaching covering the entire energy chain, from resources to the end-user. We look at how energy is produced and used by humans and machines in a sustainable way with regard to health, climate change and the resource base. The Department of Energy and Process Engineering is one of eight departments in the Faculty of Engineering.
Deadline 28th July 2020
Employer NTNU - Norwegian University of Science and Technology
Duration Fixed Term
Jobbnorge ID 189941