Few interventions have been shown to be as beneficial to human health as physical exercise, yet we don’t really know why or how this happens at the molecular level.
You would contribute to all phases of software development including design, development, and implementation. Our stack is Python, React, Elasticsearch, and PostgreSQL developed using modern cloud-enabled, open-source best practices. You should know how to use git, have some experience with frameworks, and have some experience with Linux/Unix.
Want to know more about what we are working on? We are creating the Bioinformatics core for a large NIH study (>$180M) tasked with building a molecular map of physical activity (MoTrPAC-https://commonfund.nih.gov/moleculartransducers/overview). The program's goal is to study the molecular changes that occur during and after exercise to advance the understanding of how physical activity improves and preserves health. This incredible project will integrate very large volumes of clinical (imaging, EKG, wearable) and densely time sampled molecular data (DNA, RNA, ATAC, EPI sequencing, metabolomics, proteomics and the microbiome). Our Bioinformatics Core will build cutting edge infrastructure to manage, analyze and disseminate this resource to the research community. Our portal will push the boundaries of biomedical data analytics to provide insight on basic research and translational science such as the developments of new therapeutics.
The MoTrPAC Bioinformatics Core is part of Dr. Euan Ashley’s team in the Department of Medicine, Division of Cardiovascular Medicine at Stanford University. Dr. Ashley’s research focuses on leveraging emerging technologies such as genomics and wearable sensors to provide insights into precision medicine (https://ashleylab.stanford.edu/).
Come be part of a rich community of thoughtful and talented individuals on the Stanford University campus. Excellent benefits and quality of life are included as well!
- Assess user needs and requirements.
- Design and develop applications that may involve sophisticated data manipulation.
- Maintain and update existing programs.
- Troubleshoot and solve technical problems.
- Document changes in software for end users.
- Follow team software development methodology.
* - Other duties may also be assigned
- Basic understanding of modern web technology and frameworks.
- Working knowledge of git.
- Linux/Unix experience.
EDUCATION & EXPERIENCE (REQUIRED):
Bachelor's degree and three years of relevant experience or a combination of education and relevant experience.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND ABILITIES (REQUIRED):
- Current knowledge of latest software and design standards.
- Ability to define and solve logical problems for technical applications.
- Knowledge of and ability to select, adapt, and effectively use a variety of programming methods.
- Ability to recognize and recommend needed changes in user and/or operations procedures.
- Basic knowledge of software engineering principles.
- Strong knowledge of at least one programming language.
- Constantly perform desk-based computer tasks.
- Frequently sit, grasp lightly/fine manipulation.
- Occasionally stand/walk, writing by hand.
- Rarely use a telephone, lift/carry/push/pull objects that weigh up to 10 pounds.
*- Consistent with its obligations under the law, the University will provide reasonable accommodation to any employee with a disability who requires accommodation to perform the essential functions of his or her job.
May work extended hours, evening and weekends.
- Interpersonal Skills: Demonstrates the ability to work well with Stanford colleagues and clients and with external organizations.
- Promote Culture of Safety: Demonstrates commitment to personal responsibility and value for safety; communicates safety concerns; uses and promotes safe behaviors based on training and lessons learned.
- Subject to and expected to comply with all applicable University policies and procedures, including but not limited to the personnel policies and other policies found in the University’s Administrative Guide, http://adminguide.stanford.edu/.
Job Code: 4821
Employee Status: Regular
Requisition ID: 85657