Senior Student Counselor
The Student Counselor provides a comprehensive range of counseling services for students experiencing personal, social and academic difficulties. The person in this position also undertakes testing and psychological assessment as applicable with licensure. When required, the person makes appropriate referrals for services and also provides consultation for faculty, staff, and students. Crisis intervention, psychoeducational programs focused on students’ personal growth and development, outreach workshops etc. are also part of the core responsibilities of the Student Counselor. The person in this position is expected to attend regular supervision meetings and participate in training programs.
- Offers a wide range of counseling services including but not limited to:
- individual and group counseling
- psychological and educational assessment
- Preventative, psycho-educational and skills-training workshops that enhance and support students’ psychological wellbeing
- crisis intervention and outreach programs focused on students’ personal growth and development etc.
- Adheres to the Code of Ethical Practice and Standards of Professional Conduct prescribed by the American Counseling Association (ACA).
- Strives to promote an atmosphere of trust, confidentiality and respect to encourage parents as well as the ZU community in seeking services or consultation and/or referral aimed at students’ psychological health and wellbeing.
- Makes referrals as needed within the ZU as well as to other community resources/agencies and appropriately conducts follow-up of these cases.
- Administers, interprets, documents and reports findings on different educational and psychological assessments.
- Participates in regular case conferences and supervision meetings as a member of a team of counseling professionals.
- Provides crisis counseling for students who experience critical psychological distress or are in need of urgent care due to trauma, abuse, anxiety etc.
- Liaises with the Outreach officers to design, develop and deliver psychoeducational, preventative and skills-development workshops/programs for students.
- Participates in the development of policies, procedures and manuals guiding the operations and functions of the center.
- Provides consultation for faculty and staff on issues concerning well-being and psychological health of students.
- Liaises with faculties, departments and other student services regarding the provision of programs and services which enhance student development.
- Provides clinical supervision and training for interns in collaboration with the colleges/departments.
- Represents the Student Counselling Center on University committees or task-force groups concerning students’ psychological health and wellbeing.
- Represents the Student Counseling Center on all major programs such as New Students’ Orientation, Parents’ Orientation, Registration, Open Days, Study Abroad Programs, Careers events etc.
- Maintains and safeguards confidential information including client files, reports and records as mandated by the profession.
- Maintains weekly logs on services provided and compiles data for the purpose of reports, records, evaluation etc. of the center and its services.
- Participates in research programs, needs assessments and program evaluations as required from the center.
- Should possess a minimum of a bachelor’s degree in Counseling Psychology or closely related fields (i.e., clinical, school counseling, Clinical Social Work, School Psychology etc.) from an accredited institution and master’s degree is preferred. And a minimum of 7 years’ experience or an equivalent combination of experience and education.
- Strong knowledge of group dynamics and personal counseling techniques suitable to an educational setting.
- Relevant licensure or ability to acquire license in the UAE.
Other essential requirements:
- Must be bilingual with a familiarity of the UAE/Arabic collective society and culture.
- Awareness and knowledge of UAE culture.
- Sensitivity and awareness of college student issues.
- Professional organizational membership and engagement in the profession.
Desired or preferred requirements:
- Experience working in the higher education environment.
- Knowledge of Educational testing and assessment.
- Has license or ability to acquire license to practice and supervise.
The University’s benefits package is highly attractive, with competitive salaries free of tax in the U.A.E., Cash housing, a furniture allowance, annual vacation airline tickets for the employee and immediate family, educational subsidies for children and healthcare is provided to the employee and sponsored family members.
In addition to completing the online application form, attach a cover letter, a current CV, and the names and contact details of three professional references.
While we appreciate all applications, you will be contacted only if you are selected for an interview.