Lecturer in Technology Innovation
Lecturer in Technology Innovation
School of Computing and Digital Technology
Location: Birmingham, England
Salary: £37,505 to £40,766 per annum
Closing Date: Tuesday 31 March 2020
Interview Date: To be confirmed
We invite applications to join our integrated teaching and research teams in the Digital Transformation Centre. For this role we are particularly seeking applicants who bring skills in technology innovation, systems design and process modelling with a strong technical background.
Located in a modern £300M campus in the heart of Birmingham City Centre, the School of Computing and Digital Technology is a thriving, vibrant, and inspiring learning community committed to excellence in research, high quality teaching and impactful industrial engagement. Building on continuous success in student growth and in sustained advancement of research activities, the school has embarked on a programme of extensive expansion funded by substantial long-term investments.
Our growing teams are teaching, exploring and practising in some of the most exciting areas in the field of computing and the realisation of digital transformation in small and large enterprises. Our research groups include, digital media technology, cybersecurity and digital forensics; data science and big data analytics; and socio-technical systems who specialise in technology adoption, digital change management, design thinking and process optimisation.
We are a practice-based school, making our teaching and research relevant to the evolving market for computer skills by partnering with local and global enterprise in areas such as smart cities, medical applications, the media production industry, and IoT applications. We work in a collaborative and cross disciplinary culture, where interacting freely across the school and with colleagues in other schools is encouraged to gain a unique insight into impactful problem domains.
Duties and Responsibilities
- adapting and developing teaching materials;
- managing learner cohorts;
- teaching as a member of the Digital Transformation centre in a variety of settings from small group tutorials to large lectures;
- ensuring the efficient delivery of teaching programmes in accordance with the University’s strategy, policy and procedures;
- setting and marking of assessments and provide constructive feedback to students as part of a teaching team;
- seeking ways of improving performance by reflecting on teaching design and delivery and obtaining and analysing feedback.
- collaborating with colleagues in the Digital Transformation centre to conduct high quality applied research leading to publications in reputable journals and conference proceedings, and to develop bids and partnerships for research funding;
- ability to work closely with industry partners to realise the centre’s aim to be leading authority on digital transformation in Birmingham.
Skills and Experience
- Hold a PhD in information systems, or a related applied computing subject, or equivalent industry experience;
- Excellent working knowledge of technology-led change, process optimisation, data-intelligence and user-centred design;
- Applicants should have demonstrated excellent teaching in higher education or have presented regularly to technical audiences in an industry setting;
- Excellent team working and communication skills.
- Relevant teaching experience, with preferred experience in delivery of undergraduate programmes;
- Eligible for Fellow status under the Higher Education Academy’s Professional Standards Framework;
- Technical expertise in the fields of databases, programming or cloud computing;
- Experience of designing, developing or implementing systems in an industry context;
- Have a strong record of research and research publications;
For an informal discussion of the post, please contact Prof Sharon Cox on +44 (0)121 331 7438.
With around 24,000 students from 80 countries, Birmingham City University is a large and diverse place to study. We put students at the heart of everything we do, giving them the best opportunities for future success. The University has an enviable reputation for providing quality, student-focused education in a professional and friendly environment. Our superb courses, state-of-the-art facilities, first-rate staff, and focus on practical skills and professional relevance is producing some of the country’s most employable graduates.
We put £270 million into the regional economy and support thousands of jobs in the area. We're investing £260 million in our estate, including a major expansion of our city centre campus at Eastside, providing students with an enviable range of facilities. The Complete University Guide ranked us as a top 30 UK university for spending on facilities in 2015.
Our staff and student community is defined by our core values, which outline who we are as a University and how we will work with each other. Our core values are Excellence, People focused, Partnership working and Fairness and integrity
To apply for this role, please complete the online application and upload a copy of your CV. We advise that candidates remove any personal information including name to ensure a fair and transparent recruitment process.
Closing date for advert and applications is Tuesday 31 March 2020
Applications from job seekers who require Tier 2 sponsorship to work in the UK are welcome and will be considered alongside all other applications. However, non-EEA candidates may not be appointed to a post if a suitably qualified, experienced and skilled EU/EEA candidate is available to take up the post as the employing body is unlikely, in these circumstances, to satisfy the Resident Labour Market Test. The UK Visas and Immigration department requires employers to complete this test to show that no suitably qualified EEA or EU worker can fill the post. For further information please visit the UK Visas and Immigration website.
Birmingham City University are an equal opportunities employer and welcomes applications from all sections of the community.
Birmingham City University ('BCU') is committed to protecting your personal data and being transparent about what we do with your personal data. One of the ways we do this is through our privacy notices. For further information please click here.