Research Fellow, Nano Scale Environmental Sensing
- Melbourne CBD Location
- Fixed Term Contract, 1.0 FTE
- Academic Level B, $96, 564 - $114, 672 pa + 17% Super
RMIT is a multi-sector university of technology, design and enterprise with more than 91,000 students and 11,000 staff globally. RMIT offers postgraduate, undergraduate, vocational education and online programs to provide students with a variety of work-relevant pathways.
Our purpose is to offer life-changing experiences for our students and to help shape the world with research, innovation, teaching and industry engagement. With strong industry connections forged over 130 years, collaboration with industry remains integral to RMIT’s leadership in education, applied and innovative research, and to the development of highly skilled, globally focused graduates.
Our Values inspire us, wherever we are in the world, and guide how we live and work together.
Imagination. Agility. Courage. Passion. Impact. Inclusion.
What unites us is our purpose and our values; they are at the heart of who we are, what we stand for, how we make decisions and connect with each other.
Our people make everything at the University possible. We encourage new approaches to work and learning, stimulating change to drive positive impact. RMIT exists to create transformative experiences for our students, getting them ready for life and work. You will be a part of a productive and collaborative team, who values working relationships and outcomes through open and inclusive planning, continuous information sharing and transparent work practices.
About the Role/College
The School of Engineering comprises a diverse range of disciplines: Aerospace Engineering & Aviation; Chemical & Environmental Engineering; Civil & Infrastructure Engineering; Electrical & Biomedical Engineering; Electronic & Telecommunication Engineering; Manufacturing, Materials & Mechatronic Engineering; Mechanical & Automotive Engineering. As a top 100 university in the world for engineering (2015 QS Rankings by Faculty; Engineering and Technology), RMIT Engineering provides students with work-relevant education programs, access to excellent research facilities and opportunities to engage in creative real-world project work through robust relations with local and international industry leaders.
As a Research Fellow, your role will be to primarily plan, develop and engage in the project “Development of Zn ion absorption materials for monitoring total heavy metal ions in water resources”. Within this project, you will synthesis and characterise nano-materials and gels. You will also define their performance in absorbing Zn ions and there long term stability and reproducibility, and define your structure using a range of analytical tools and will produce fabrication methods that guarantee reproducibility, stability and accuracy.
- Ability to develop collaborations with national and international researchers, particularly focussing on linkages between nano-materials, hydrogels and environmental measurement
- Ability to work autonomously whilst displaying a strong commitment to work in a team environment towards delivery industrial outcomes, including the demonstrated ability to confidently and effectively work with colleagues, project team leaders and industrial partners, preferably within a cross-disciplinary environment
- Experience in characterization of nano-materials and their composite in order to meet industrial requirements, including surface properties and functionality confirmation.
- Proven ability in design, fabrication of sensing device containing nanomaterials and testing their performance in industrial settings.
- PhD in chemistry, nano-engineering materials engineering or related field
Note: Appointment to this position is subject to passing a Working with Children check.
Bring your whole self to work
We are better for our diversity. When we listen to those who are different to us or challenge us, we grow stronger together. When we feel like we belong, we can achieve so much more. We respect each other, embrace our differences and build a sense of belonging in our team and beyond.
We’re proud to share with you some of our wins:
- RMIT University is an Athena SWAN member with Bronze Award accreditation and the College of Science, Engineering and Health is central to driving improvements in gender equality, diversity and inclusion, particularly in the Science, Technology, Engineering, Mathematics and Medicine (STEMM) disciplines.
- We placed 11th in the 2019 Talent Board APAC Candidate Experience Awards.
- RMIT was placed 10th in the 2019 Randstad Employer Brand Research Awards, up five spots from 2018.
- We were named as an Employer of Choice for Gender Equality by the Workplace Gender Equality Agency in 2019.
- We achieved Gold Employer status for LGBTIQ inclusion in the Australian Workplace Equality Index (AWEI) in 2018 and now in 2019.
- We were recognised as a top five employer in 2018 for workplace accessibility with the Australian Network on Disability.
- The launch of our second Reconciliation Plan, Dhumbah Goorowa– a “commitment to share” - an important step in our reconciliation journey.
To apply, please submit your resume and cover letter outlining your interest in this role. Candidates are requested to separately address the key selection criteria outlined in the position description. For enquires about this role, you may contact Ivan Cole on email@example.com.
We are also happy to make adjustments to the recruitment process for your accessibility requirements. Please contact us via your preferred type of communication: email TalentSupport@rmit.edu.au or call Sheri on +61399257210 with your request(s).
Applications close 26th of February 2020.
RMIT is an equal opportunity employer committed to being a child safe organisation. We are dedicated to attracting, retaining and developing our people regardless of gender identity, ethnicity, sexual orientation, disability and age. Applications are encouraged from all sectors of the community and we strongly encourage applications from the Aboriginal and/or Torres Strait Islander community.