Commercial Law Placement
Based at Cranfield Campus, Cranfield, Bedfordshire
Hours of work 37 hours per week, normally worked Monday to Friday. Flexible working will be considered
Contract type Fixed term contract
Fixed Term Period 13 months
Salary £18,032 per annum
Apply by 08/03/2020
Cranfield University based in Mid-Bedfordshire, is an exclusively postgraduate university that is a global leader in education, transformational research & technology and management.
As the UK’s only exclusively postgraduate university, Cranfield’s world-class expertise, large-scale facilities and unrivalled industry partnerships is creating leaders in technology and management globally. Our distinctive expertise is in our deep understanding of technology and management and how these work together to benefit the world.
Our people are our most valuable resource and everyone has a role to play in shaping the future of our university, developing our learners, and transforming the businesses we work with. Learn more about Cranfield and our unique impact here: Working life at Cranfield.
Our shared, stated values help to define who we are and underpin everything we do: Ambition; Impact; Respect; and Community. To find out more please visit our website: https://www.cranfield.ac.uk/about/about
The legal team consists of six legal advisors who provide a vital specialist service to the University and some of its subsidiary companies, reviewing, drafting and negotiating a wide range of contracts and agreements, ensuring that they do not expose the University or its subsidiaries to unreasonable risk and that they comply with current legislation and internal policies and procedures.
The team is seeking a confident and enthusiastic undergraduate with strong interpersonal skills and excellent written and verbal communication skills, with a willingness to learn, to provide support to the team delivering a professional service to the University and its subsidiaries across a range of education, research, consultancy and other services.
Reporting to a Senior Legal Advisor your duties will include:
- Preparing, reviewing and negotiating amendments to a large volume of contracts and agreements, often to short deadlines, based upon university template documents or existing Framework Agreements and those based upon customer/supplier terms and conditions which have previously been accepted for work of a similar nature. Liaising with other members of the team who have specific knowledge and experience of different areas of the law as necessary.
- Liaising with internal academic and non-academic teams to ensure proposed agreements meet their requirements and negotiating any necessary amendments directly with the customer or supplier.
- Upon completion of negotiations, preparing contracts and agreements for signature by an authorised signatory, ensuring all the paperwork is correct and that all internal approvals are in place.
- Distributing fully signed documents to all the appropriate internal and external stake holders.
- Managing and maintaining your own case files.
- Recording and maintaining all your work-in-progress on a contracts database.
Candidates must be studying towards an undergraduate law degree and have studied modules in commercial law, including Law of Contract and Law of Tort.
At Cranfield we value Diversity and Inclusion, and aim to create and maintain a culture in which everyone can work and study together harmoniously with dignity and respect and realise their full potential.
Our equal opportunities and diversity monitoring has shown that that women and minority ethnic groups are currently underrepresented within the university and so we actively encourage applications from eligible candidates from these groups.
We actively consider flexible working options such as part-time, compressed or flexible hours and/or an element of homeworking, and commit to exploring the possibilities for each role. To find out more, please visit https://www.cranfield.ac.uk/about/working-at-cranfield/diversity.