Senior Research Fellow, Data Science
International Centre for Radio Astronomy Research
- Join a team of diverse and globally distributed experts in areas of software engineering, computer science, algorithmic development and be part of one of the most biggest and awe-inspiring project in astronomical science and engineering
- Salary range: Level C ($122,456 - $140,861 p.a.) plus employer contributed superannuation of 17%
- 2 year appointment on a full time basis
The University of Western Australia (UWA) is ranked amongst the top 100 universities in the world and a member of the prestigious Australian Group of Eight research-intensive universities. With an enviable research track record, vibrant campus and working environments, supported by the freedom to ‘innovate and inspire’ there is no better time to join Western Australia’s top University.
About the team
The International Centre for Radio Astronomy Research (ICRAR) is an equal joint venture established in 2009 between Curtin University and The University of Western Australia (UWA). ICRAR is one of the lead Australian organisations participating in the international Square Kilometre Array (SKA) Project. The Centre is engaged in research and training in radio astronomy, astrophysics, simulations, data intensive astronomy, engineering and SKA pre-construction and eventually construction activities. ICRAR has a very active education and outreach program and also works closely with international and Australian collaborators including partners from industry. ICRAR was independently assessed to be among the top five radio astronomy Centres in the world. The Centre is also a node of the ARC Centre of Excellence for All Sky Astrophysics in 3 Dimensions (ASTRO 3D). ICRAR strongly supports the principles of equity and diversity and for this position we would like to encourage in particular female applicants.
About the opportunity
As the Senior Research Fellow with skills and experience in advanced data science technologies, you will take a lead role in extracting information from complex and big data sets. You will also lead various existing research projects inside and outside of astronomy with an aim to develop and formulate new research projects.
You will be part of the Data Intensive Astronomy (DIA) team with your machine learning and artificial intelligence skills. You will provide support to diverse groups of people internally from colleagues within ICRAR and externally from CSIRO and other partner institutes and companies. You will also contribute to teaching and supervise Masters and PhD students.
To be considered for this role, you will demonstrate:
- Degree in a scientific field such as computer science or software engineering or demonstrated equivalent competency. PhD is desirable but not mandatory
- Substantial and extensive experience in the application of advanced data science methodologies to complex data sets. Experience with more traditional scientific or statistical algorithms is desirable
- Experience in teaching and supervision
You will have a genuine passion and interest in Astronomy with a strong initiative to seek and analyse new and exciting research opportunities. You will possess a collegiate attitude and commitment to work collaboratively with globally distributed and diverse internal and external stakeholders.
Your willingness to undertake domestic and international travel is required.
Full details of the position responsibilities and the selection criteria are outlined in the position description. In preparing your application you are asked to demonstrate clearly that you meet the selection criteria.
Closing date: Tuesday, 3 March 2020
This position is open to international applicants.
Application Details: Please apply online via the Apply Now button.
Our commitment to inclusion and diversity
UWA is committed to a diverse workforce. We celebrate inclusion and diversity and believe gender equity is fundamental to achieving our goal of being a top 50 university by 2050.
- We have child friendly areas on campus, including childcare facilities. Flexible work arrangements, part-time hours and job sharing will all be considered.
- UWA has been awarded Platinum Employer Status for being a Top Ten Employer for LGBTI Inclusion by the Australian Workplace Equity Index (AWEI -2019).