Senior Teaching Fellow in Mathematics
Nazarbayev University’s Center for Preparatory Studies (CPS) in Nur-Sultan, Kazakhstan, is currently seeking a qualified Mathematics Senior Teaching Fellow to begin August 2020 or earlier if possible.
The Center for Preparatory Studies has two academic programs: a foundation year program (NUFYP) and a pre-masters preparatory program. NUFYP emphasizes academic English, mathematics, and study skills to prepare students for Nazarbayev University’s undergraduate schools. The minimum English entry level is a comprehensive IELTS of 6.0, and all CPS classes are taught in English. CPS also offers a one-year, pre-master’s curriculum that enhances students’ English skills and prepares them for study and research in NU master’s degree programs.
As a CPS Mathematics Senior Teaching Fellow (within NUFYP), you would have 10-12 student contact hours per week (e.g., lectures, seminars, office hours) and assist the Head of Discipline (HOD) in administration duties and oversight and professional growth of the math team (~8 teachers); you would share responsibilities for course and assessments development; and you would take a lead position in conducting the NUFYP entrance exam. You would have opportunities to serve on CPS committees.
A successful candidate must demonstrate the qualifications and character required to effectively lead, teach, and work in an intensive undergraduate preparatory program in Kazakhstan.
Essential Qualifications and Experience
- Master’s degree in mathematics or in a related field combined with applicable experience
- Excellent teaching competencies with the ability to teach cooperatively to deliver a unified curriculum
- Evidence of a strong work ethic, mature professional behavior, and exemplary personal character
- Experience that demonstrates the ability to cooperatively work in a multicultural educational environment
- Excellent English and overall communications skills with the ability to follow written and oral instructions
- Compelling desire to invest in Kazakhstani youth and their educational development
- Prior administrative duties and/or academic coaching is highly desirable
Nazarbayev University offers:
- Internationally competitive salary
- 56 days paid leave per year
- Rent-free housing based on family size
- Relocation allowance
- Air tickets twice a year to home country
- No-cost medical insurance with global coverage
- Educational allowance for children
To Apply click the link and upload (in PDF if possible):
- Curriculum Vitae: max 4 pages (normal font and spacing) and include in it your Contact Information for at least two referees and the contact information of your current/most recent supervisor. Note: referees/employer will not be contacted unless you are shortlisted and grant permission.
- Cover Letter (max 1 page).
- CPS Application Information: In a third document write two brief paragraphs (<150 words each): (1) stating why you want to teach in CPS and (2) explaining the qualities, talents, and/or characteristics that you would bring to CPS.
Do not upload any other materials to your application at this time. Prior to shortlisting candidates may be asked to complete a pre-interview questionnaire before the interview.
Review of applications will begin immediately; the position will remain open until filled; initial interviews will begin in March 2020.
Questions regarding CPS, the program or the position can be addressed to the Director through Smart Recruiter. Additional information can be found at the official website of Nazarbayev University www.nu.edu.kz.
Nazarbayev University is an EOE.
To apply, please click here: https://smrtr.io/3N9G8