This position requires the employee to have full technical responsibility for interpreting, organizing, executing and coordinating metrology assignments, and for planning and developing projects which have an important effect on major Laboratory programs. This involves in depth understanding of metrology, creativity and problem solving, attention to detail and confidence with codes and standards. Initiate and maintain extensive contacts with key engineers and scientists in other areas of the Laboratory and in other organizations and skillfully negotiate critical issues.
Work closely with:
- Engineers to optimize & obtain measurements for positioning and locating multiple components on NSTXU & other devices at PPPL.
- Metrology Technicians to improve current processes and develop new methods for unique measurement challenges.
- Responsible Engineers to devise plans to evaluate the measured data and supply reports describing findings.
- Metrology equipment vendors on continuous improvement of software/hardware and development of new measurement techniques.
- Design and optimize the layout of targets to maximize measurement quality.
- Optimize and maintain the calibration of optical & tactile metrology systems.
- Provide technical leadership to ensure optimal performance of production test methods and equipment.
Knowledge and Skills:
- BS in Mechanical Engineering, or similar degree, and at least 10 year of relevant experience thereafter, or MS in Mechanical Engineering, or PhD in precision measurement.
- Strong CAD background with preference toward CREO Pro-E tools.
- Working knowledge of Verisurf or other mathematical/statistical analysis tools.
- Knowledge of geometrical dimensioning and tolerance per ASME Y14.5-2009.
- A wide knowledge and experience of metrology, techniques and measuring equipment.
- Effective written and oral communication skills.
- Full life-cycle experience, i.e. from measurement strategy to execution, data acquisition, post processing and iterative analysis and measurement. Experience performing post processing and uncertainty in measurement analysis; Optimize measurement and analysis.
- Experience in mechanical systems design, integration and installation for complex equipment.
- Experience with electro-mechanical systems and fixture design.
Job reports to: Head of Technical Implementation Group
Princeton University is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to age, race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, national origin, disability status, protected veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law. EEO IS THE LAW