Volunteer Patient Assistant
Application closing date 05/01/2020
Location Preston Campus
Salary Grade: D (£19,612 - £21,814)
Job category/type Professional Services
The School of Medicine delivers a range of undergraduate and postgraduate medical and health professional programmes including the MBBS programme, which launched in September 2015. The School of Medicine maintains a bank of Volunteer Patients as a resource to support the teaching and assessment of students.
The Faculty of Clinical and Biomedical Sciences seek to appoint a Volunteer Patient Assistant to support the growing needs of the Volunteer Patient Program. Volunteer Patients may have one or more medical conditions required for history taking and/or physical examination in teaching sessions and assessments. Patients are booked to attend sessions at all UCLan campus sites i.e. Preston, Burnley and Whitehaven, where they interact with students who learn the realities of living with medical conditions.
The post-holder will assist the Volunteer Patient Co-ordinator, working alongside the clinical skills and clinical communication skills team within the School, to ensure appropriate volunteer patients are available to support teaching and learning on all programmes, as required.
Duties will include:
- Utilising a secure, confidential electronic patient bank database and booking systems for patients
- Assist the recruitment of patients to the volunteer bank attending recruitment events and disseminating recruitment information.
- Booking of the Volunteer Patients to ensure all teaching and assessment sessions have adequate provision.
- Communicating effectively with patients, academics and NHS staff to support all educational and assessment programmes
- Working in line with administrative policies in relation to Volunteer Patients for recruitment and ongoing activities
- Engaging with Volunteer Patients and carers to ensure their welfare needs are met during their time on UCLan sites.
- Collating information from feedback sessions for Volunteer Patients to maintain standards and further improve teaching/assessment using this resource
- Ensuring expenses payments are made to Volunteer Patients in a timely fashion and in line with regulations.
As a minimum, you will hold a range of GCSEs or have significant relevant professional experience in an appropriate area. You will have experience of working as part of a team in an administration role and experience of working in a client care environment.
Utilising strong communication and organisational skills you will have an ability to multitask and organise others as well as deal with confidential and sensitive information. The ability to work consistently under pressure, prioritising work and meeting deadlines is essential.
Informal enquiries are welcomed - please contact Joanna Clarkson, via email in the first instance – firstname.lastname@example.org
Applicants need to meet all essential criteria on the person specification to be considered for interview. This position is based in Preston with some travel to the Universities’ other campuses.
School or Service: School of Medicine
Hours: Full Time (36.25 hours per week – 1.0 FTE)
Basis: Fixed term contract for 12 months
Interview Date: To be confirmed