Life Science Research Professional,
About the Position
The Angelo Lab is looking for a staff scientist to join our team. We are an interdisciplinary group focused on understanding how the immune system contributes to human disease. Our lab environment is extremely collaborative, and we have projects across a wide range of subject areas.
We are looking for someone to manage and execute collaborative projects with industry and academic partners. The ideal candidate will be able to independently manage complex scientific projects, design and execute experimental plans, and communicate results effectively to collaborators across a range of disciplines and backgrounds. The candidate will play a significant role in the design and execution of experiments, as well as interpretation of results. In addition, the candidate will be responsible for communicating with collaborators, including summarization and analysis of data.
The projects will involve application of our novel imaging technology, Multiplexed Ion Beam Imaging by Time of Flight (MIBI-TOF). The applicant will gain significant expertise is the usage and operation of this mass-spectrometry based imaging platform. Routine duties will include optimization of reagents, validation of correct staining, and operation of the instrument to profile large cohorts of clinical samples across a range of pathologies, including cancer, infection, and auto-immunity.
Qualified candidates will have a PhD in a relevant field, such as immunology, biology, or genetics. Qualified candidates will also have an excellent track-record of organizational skills, project management abilities, and be able to work well as part of a team. Exceptional candidates will have previous experience with imaging analysis, such as immunohistochemistry or immunofluorescence.
MIBI-TOF: A multiplexed imaging platform relates cellular phenotypes and tissue structure. Keren, Bosse et al., Science Advances (2019).
A Structured Tumor-Immune Microenvironment in Triple Negative Breast Cancer Revealed by Multiplexed Ion Beam Imaging. Keren et al., Cell (2018)
Multiplexed ion beam imaging of human breast tumors. Angelo et al., Nature Medicine (2014)
- Design research approaches for a major portion of research project(s), including background research, experimental design and execution, problem-solving, and writing up for publication.
- Develop new protocols; test and evaluate a variety of approaches.
- Perform complex (lab and/or field) experiments, and maintain detailed records of experiments and outcomes; analyze and interpret research data resulting from original procedures and methods.
- Assist with new research proposals and applications for funding and grants.
- Lead or participate in multidisciplinary teams across different faculties or schools.
- Prepare periodic progress reports or written reports on all phases of the research project.
- Contribute substantively to the preparation of papers for publication, especially in the results section. May be a co-author on publications. Present ongoing work and findings to colleagues at academic conferences.
- Perform ongoing literature review to remain current with new procedures and related research; propose new research directions based on new advances discussed in literature.
- Oversee supply and equipment budget under minimal supervision of principal investigator or business manager.
- Work with health and safety department to ensure lab complies with regulations and all required trainings.
- Formally supervise and train new staff or students as needed, including hiring, performance management, and related duties, in addition to instruction on techniques and consultation on project work.
* - Other duties may also be assigned
- Excellent project management skills
- Strong organizational abilities, comfort with managing multiple independent research efforts at once
- Strong communication skills
- Comfort with independly conducting and directing a research project
- Previous experience with imaging (IHC, IF) would be a plus
- Previous experience with computational analysis (R, Python, Matlab) would be a plus
EDUCATION & EXPERIENCE (REQUIRED):
Bachelor's degree in related scientific field and five years of related experience, or master's and two years of related experience.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND ABILITIES (REQUIRED):
- Comprehensive understanding of scientific principles.
- Expert level knowledge and skills in field of science related to research project.
- General computer skills, experience with databases and scientific applications, and ability to quickly learn and master computer programs.
- Strong analytical skills and excellent judgment.
- Ability to work under deadlines with general guidance is essential.
- Excellent organizational skills and demonstrated ability to complete detailed work accurately.
- Developing project management skills.
- Frequently stand, walk, twist, bend, stoop, squat, grasp lightly, use fine manipulation, grasp forcefully, perform desk-based computer tasks, use telephone, write by hand, lift, carry, push and pull objects weighing over 40 pounds.
- Occasionally sit, kneel, crawl, reach and work above shoulders, sort and file paperwork or parts.
- Rarely climb, scrub, sweep, mop, chop and mix or operate hand and foot controls.
- Must have correctible vision to perform duties of the job.
- Ability to bend, squat, kneel, stand, reach above shoulder level, and move on hard surfaces for up to eight hours.
- Ability to lift heavy objects weighing up to 50 pounds.
- Ability to work in a dusty, dirty, and odorous environment.
- Position may require repetitive motion.
* - Consistent with its obligations under the law, the University will provide reasonable accommodation to any employee with a disability who requires accommodation to perform the essential functions of his or her job.
- May require working in close proximity to blood borne pathogens.
- May require work in an environment where animals are used for teaching and research.
- Position may at times require the employee to work with or be in areas where hazardous materials and/or infectious diseases are present.
- Employee must perform tasks that require the use of personal protective equipment, such as safety glasses and shoes, protective clothing and gloves, and possibly a respirator.
- May require extended or unusual work hours based on research requirements and business needs.
- Schedule: Full-time
- Job Code: 4953
- Employee Status: Regular
- Grade: H
- Requisition ID: 85149