Lecturer / Senior Lecturer in Design Ethics
- Join the Design Lab, an interdisciplinary research group investigating design as a practice and as a process for creating interactive experiences and implementing design-led innovation
- Located at our Camperdown / Darlington campus
- Full-time continuing position and remuneration package $125,848-$177,593 (Academic Level B / Academic Level C) p.a which includes leave loading and up to 17% superannuation
About the opportunity
We are seeking a Lecturer / Senior Lecturer in Design to join our Design Lab which draws on design research to define new interactive experiences and to investigate the role of design for innovation, both within the built environment and beyond. As design researchers, we study how the world can be changed and shaped through design, applying human-centred methods to imagine possible futures with a range of economic, social, cultural and environmental benefits. Our areas of research span interaction design, computational creativity, design-led innovation, designing for health and well-being, digital place-making, and urban data science.
We are seeking to appoint a candidate with an established track record across at least two of the following areas: interaction design, design theory, design ethics. For example, this may involve a research focus on critical or ethical perspectives in human-centred design research, and experience in teaching interaction design and design ethics. We are specifically interested in applicants that are able to contribute their expertise and knowledge on the societal, political and cultural aspects in the design of human-centered technology. This focus may be expressed through different methodological or phenomenological approaches, such as speculative design, critical design, science and technology studies, value-sensitive design, and more-than-human centred design. Applicants are expected to demonstrate how their background in any or multiple of these areas and approaches supports our existing research foci and teaching programs, such as our Bachelor of Design Computing, Major in Design, Major in Biological Design, Master of Interaction Design and Electronic Arts, and Master of Design. Applicants are strongly encouraged to address this in their cover letter and throughout their application.
The University values courage and creativity; openness and engagement; inclusion and diversity; and respect and integrity. As such, we see the importance of recruiting talent aligned to these values and are looking for a Lecturer / Senior Lecturer in Design with the demonstrated ability to:
- develop and implement an original, innovative and high-impact research program that is situated within the fields of interaction design, design theory and/or design ethics;
- advise and supervise higher-degree research students;
- coordinate and teach units in our Bachelor of Design Computing, Major in Design, Major in Biological Design, Master of Interaction Design and Electronic Arts, and/or Master of Design;
- contribute to developing new units that cover critical and ethical aspects of human-centred design at both the undergraduate and postgraduate levels;
- engage and collaborate with industry, your research discipline and the broader community;
- support and work with staff and students from a wide range of cultural, social and professional backgrounds.
From the appointment of Leslie Wilkinson as Australia’s first Chair in Architecture in 1918, the University of Sydney School of Architecture, Design and Planning has been an internationally acknowledged centre for intellectual, scientific and aesthetic enquiry in architecture and the built environment, which attracts the highest quality student applicants in Australia. In the 2019 QS World University Rankings by Subject, the school was ranked first in Australia, and 15th in the world for Architecture/Built Environment.
The school is focused on the built environment and uses the methods of architecture, design, planning, science, art, engineering, IT, and social sciences to analyse, understand and design innovative environments. We have one of Australia’s best university laboratory infrastructures for research and design in the built environment, including our Lighting Lab, Spatial Audio and Acoustics Lab, and the Indoor Environmental Quality Lab. We have a major and ongoing investment in the Design Modelling and Fabrication Lab, including architectural robotics. Our range of disciplines enables us to respond to the great and conflicting global challenges of our time – urbanisation and sustainability.
Since our inception 160 years ago, the University of Sydney has led to improve the world around us. We believe in education for all and that effective leadership makes lives better. These same values are reflected in our approach to diversity and inclusion, and underpin our long-term strategy for growth. We’re Australia's first university and have an outstanding global reputation for academic and research excellence. Across our campuses, we employ over 7600 academic and non-academic staff who support over 60,000 students.
We are undergoing significant transformative change which brings opportunity for innovation, progressive thinking, breaking with convention, challenging the status quo, and improving the world around us.
How to apply
All applications must be submitted via the University of Sydney careers website. Visit sydney.edu.au/recruitment and search by the reference number 2249/1019C to apply.
Closing date: 11:30pm, Sunday 19 January 2020
The University of Sydney is committed to diversity and social inclusion. Applications from people of culturally and linguistically diverse backgrounds; equity target groups including women, people with disabilities, people who identify as LGBTIQ; and people of Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander descent, are encouraged.
© The University of Sydney
The University reserves the right not to proceed with any appointment.
More searches like this
- Permanent Art, Performing Arts & Design Academic Posts Camperdown jobs in Darlington
- Permanent Art, Performing Arts & Design Principal / Senior Lecturers / Associate Professors Camperdown jobs in Darlington
- Permanent Art, Performing Arts & Design Lecturers / Assistant Professors Camperdown jobs in Darlington