Preceptor in Japanese
School Faculty of Arts and Sciences
Department/Area Department of East Asian Languages and Civilizations
The Department of East Asian Languages and Civilizations at Harvard University invites applications for the full-time position of Preceptor in Japanese expected to begin July 1, 2020. The preceptor will be responsible for acting as instructor in charge of one of the levels of Japanese taught at Harvard, between elementary and advanced (fifth year level), and for training and supervising instructors in the Japanese program.
This will be a term appointment, with the duration of the term to be determined. The appointment is renewable, based on performance and curricular need, for up to a total of eight years.
The successful applicant should have native or near-native command of modern standard Japanese, both written and spoken, be able to teach modern Japanese at any level, elementary through advanced, to learners whose native language is English, and be well trained in the issues of teaching Japanese as a foreign language.
An M.A. degree or higher in Japanese Linguistics, Japanese Pedagogy, Foreign Language Education, Second Language Acquisition, or a closely related field, and several years of experience teaching modern Japanese at the college level in the United States are preferred. Experience in computer-assisted language teaching is also desirable.
Interested candidates should submit:
- A cover letter, including a description of teaching experience and philosophy and comments on any efforts to encourage diversity, inclusion, and belonging.
- A Curriculum Vitae
- Names and contact information of three referees, who will be asked by a system-generated email to upload a letter of recommendation once the candidate’s application has been submitted. Three letters of recommendation are required, and the application is considered complete only when at least three letters have been received.
Candidates should also send a 20-minute video of the applicant teaching by URL through the ARIeS portal (https://academicpositions.harvard.edu/postings/9374/), or send a USB drive with a file of the video to: Chair, Preceptor Search Committee Japanese Language Program East Asian Languages and Civilizations Department Harvard University 5 Bryant Street Cambridge, MA 02138
All application materials should be submitted no later than February 3, 2020. Please note that your references will not be invited to upload their references until you have submitted your complete application on-line. References are due by February 7, 2020.
Contact Information Rebecca Mahoney Language Program Coordinator 5 Bryant Street Cambridge, MA 02138
Contact Email email@example.com
Equal Opportunity Employer We are an equal opportunity employer and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, disability status, protected veteran status, gender identity, sexual orientation, pregnancy and pregnancy-related conditions or any other characteristic protected by law.
Minimum Number of References Required 3
Maximum Number of References Allowed 3
More searches like this
- Fixed Term Languages, Literature & Linguistics Academic Posts jobs in Cambridge
- Fixed Term Languages, Literature & Linguistics Other Academic jobs in Cambridge
- Fixed Term Languages, Literature & Linguistics Professional Services jobs in Cambridge
- Fixed Term Languages, Literature & Linguistics Other Professional Services jobs in Cambridge