Lecturer/Senior Lecturer, Bioprocess Engineering
(Lecturer/Senior Lecturer) $97-577 – $136,990 per annum plus an employer contribution of up to 17% superannuation may apply
Fixed term for 3 years with the possibility of conversion to continuing position subject to funding availability and performance
The School of Chemical Engineering & Advanced Materials has a fantastic opportunity for an early/mid-career academic or industrialist in chemical engineering with experience in bioprocessing to join our dynamic team focussed on achieving excellence in research and teaching
Contribute to the development and delivery of a new leading postgraduate curriculum focussed on bioprocess engineering for biopharmaceuticals in various areas including fermentation, cell culture, chromatography and/or tangential flow filtration.
Using your excellent communication, project management, and leadership skills you will be expected to develop a modern approach to a new and exciting postgraduate curriculum as well as expanding on multi-disciplinary research activities across the broader University as well as on an international scale.
Collaboration with key stakeholders internally and external to the University is a key component of the role and you will be expected to achieve key outcomes on a multidisciplinary scale within the school, broader university community and external partners within industry and government agencies leveraging your bio-process engineering expertise in fields related to materials, agriculture, oenology and biotechnology. You will bring with you established industry connections and leverage these to build partnerships and key collaborations.
The University offers a great range of benefits such as salary packaging, research support schemes and a range of flexible work arrangements.
To be successful at level B you will need:
- Track record of quality research related to processing of products of biological origin; may include therapeutic proteins, vaccines, industrial enzymes, nutraceuticals and plant extracts; as evidenced by research publications in leading journals and conferences or equivalent industrial experience, achieving the highest levels of scholarship and/or application in engineering research relative to opportunity.
- Potential to lead a research program in fundamental and/or applied areas addressing current bioprocessing industrial challenges. (Industrial experience in the biopharmaceutical industry preferred.)
- Demonstrated ability to work both independently and as part of a team in a professional and collegial manner, and to build rapport with all levels of academic and professional staff within a diverse and inclusive work environment.
- Demonstrated experience and understanding of modern pedagogy principles as well as experience in the successful development of undergraduate/postgraduate curriculum that meets the needs of industry ready graduates.
- Excellent oral and written communication skills.
In addition to the above, to be successful at level C you will need:
- Demonstrated ability to work collaboratively with stakeholders at all levels of the organisation.
- A strong track record and H index related to quality research in the field of processing of products of biological origin; may include therapeutic proteins, vaccines, industrial enzymes, nutraceuticals and plant extracts; as evidenced by research publications in leading journals and conferences or equivalent industrial experience, achieving the highest levels of scholarship and/or application in engineering research relative to opportunity.
- Extensive experience work in and partnering with the biopharmaceutical industry to achieve major project initiatives.
- Strong track record of teaching at an undergraduate/post graduate level that focuses on the student experience.
Enjoy an outstanding career environment
The University of Adelaide is a uniquely rewarding workplace. The size, breadth and quality of our education and research programs - including significant industry, government and community collaborations - offers you vast scope and opportunity for a long, fulfilling career.
It also enables us to attract high-calibre people in all facets of our operations, ensuring you will be surrounded by talented colleagues, many world-leading. Our work's cutting-edge nature - not just in your own area, but across virtually the full spectrum of human endeavour - provides a constant source of inspiration.
Our core values are honesty, respect, fairness, discovery and excellence. Our culture is one that welcomes all and embraces diversity, We are firm believers that our people are our most valuable asset, so we work to grow and diversify the skills of our staff.
In addition, we offer a wide range of attractive staff benefits. These include: salary packaging; flexible work arrangements; high-quality professional development programs and activities; and an on-campus health clinic, gym and other fitness facilities.
Learn more at: adelaide.edu.au/jobs
Your faculty's broader role
The Faculty of Engineering, Computer and Mathematical Sciences is a thriving centre of learning, teaching and research in a vast range of engineering disciplines, computer science - including machine learning, high-level mathematics and architecture, planning and landscape architecture. Many of its academic staff are world leaders in their fields and graduates are highly regarded by employers.
Learn more at: ecms.adelaide.edu.au
If you want to change tomorrow, act today
Click on the 'Apply Now' button to be taken through to our online application form. Please ensure you address and upload your responses to all of the selection criteria.
Application close 11:55 pm, 2 February 2020
For further information
For a confidential discussion regarding this position, contact:
Professor David Lewis
Head of School, School of Chemical Engineering and Advanced Materials
P: +61 (8) 313 5503
Click on the link below to find a full selection criteria: (If no links appear, try viewing on another device)
The University of Adelaide is an Equal Employment Opportunity employer. Women and Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander people who meet the requirements of this position are strongly encouraged to apply.