Professor and Director for Global Partnerships and Outreach
The University of Hong Kong 's highest priorities are to create opportunities for the very best academic talents to excel and to advance human knowledge to the benefit of society. We serve the needs of Hong Kong, the wider region and the rest of the world.
Work type: Full-time
Department: Faculty of Education (10000)
Categories: Professoriate Staff
The University of Hong Kong
Founded in 1911, the University of Hong Kong (HKU) is committed to the highest international standards of excellence in teaching and research, and has been at the international forefront of academic scholarship for many years. The University has a comprehensive range of study programmes and research disciplines spread across 10 faculties and over 140 academic departments and institutes/centres. There are about 29,000 undergraduate and postgraduate students who are recruited globally, and more than 2,500 members of academic and academic-related staff coming from multi-cultural backgrounds, many of whom are internationally renowned. Further information about the University can be found on the website https://www.hku.hk/.
The Faculty of Education
HKU has been involved in teacher education since 1917, and the Faculty of Education was established in 1984. The Faculty of Education is forward-looking and world leading, ranking the fourth globally in Education (THE 2019). It has assumed an important role in educational research and professional training and has contributed significantly to education policy and development in Hong Kong. It is a major teacher-education institution and has strong expertise in policy analysis and curriculum development. It was the first institution in Hong Kong to train speech therapists and audiologists for the local community. More information about the Faculty of Education can be found at https://web.edu.hku.hk/.
Applications are invited for appointment as Professor and Director for Global Partnerships and Outreach, to commence on September 1, 2020 or as soon as possible thereafter, on a three-year fixed-term basis with the possibility of renewal. Candidates with extensive experience and demonstrated outstanding academic achievement may be considered for direct tenure, subject to approval.
The appointee will provide strong leadership in national, regional and international partnerships and outreach, and take up high-level administrative responsibilities, including but not limited to
- visioning, developing and directing initiatives for regional and international outreach, alliances with world-leading education faculties or non-governmental organizations, national outreach and school partnerships, and global alumni engagement;
- building upon, connecting and synergizing the internationalization efforts across the programmes, specializations, and activities of the Faculty; and
- developing Faculty-level policies and principles for strategic internationalization; and articulating and implementing a research agenda in tandem with internationalization efforts.
The appointee will also teach courses at the undergraduate and postgraduate levels, supervise research postgraduate students, contribute actively to research, and undertake mentoring and administrative responsibilities.
Applicants should possess
- a Ph.D. degree in any relevant area of educational research;
- proven organizational-level experience in partnerships and outreach, alumni relations, and global engagement;
- an extensive professional network of global communities of academic experts and scholars;
- strong teaching experience in tertiary education;
- extensive experience in conducting externally funded and rigorous field-based research with a distinguished record of scholarship; and
- outstanding academic leadership capabilities.
Knowledge of the education sector in Hong Kong would be a strong advantage.
A highly competitive salary commensurate with qualifications and experience will be offered, in addition to annual leave and medical benefits. At current rates, salaries tax does not exceed 15% of gross income. The appointment will attract a contract-end gratuity and University contribution to a retirement benefits scheme, totalling up to 15% of basic salary. Housing benefits will be provided as applicable.
How to Apply
The executive search firm Perrett Laver is supporting the Faculty of Education in this recruitment exercise. To apply, or to download further information on the required qualifications, skills and experience for the role, please visit https://candidates.perrettlaver.com/vacancies/ quoting reference number 4100. Initial inquiries may be directed to Dr. Xin Wei by email (Xin.Wei@perrettlaver.com) or by phone (+852 3702 6498).
Applications should consist of a covering letter together with an up-to-date Curriculum Vitae (CV). The University will seek independent external assessments on shortlisted applicants. Review of applications will continue until the post is filled.