Control Instructor - Department of Chemical Engineering
FACULTY OF ENGINEERING, BUILT ENVIRONMENT AND INFORMATION TECHNOLOGY
DEPARTMENT OF CHEMICAL ENGINEERING
PEROMNES POST LEVEL 8
In pursuit of the ideals of excellence and diversity, the University of Pretoria wishes to invite applications for the following vacancy.
The University of Pretoria's commitment to quality makes us one of the top research Universities in the country and gives us a competitive advantage in international science and technology development.
The incumbent will be responsible for:
- Ascertaining the safety requirements for the construction of new experimental setups as well as the execution of experimental work.
The management and control of laboratories:
- Ensuring that all the laboratories are clean and that all equipment in the laboratories are in working condition;
- Managing and coordinating all repairs of said laboratory equipment (fault-finding, repair and testing);
- Ensuring that sufficient laboratory stock of frequently used items like filtration paper, glassware, crucibles, furnace tubes, heating elements and materials for the preparation of polished sections is available;
- Conducting regular inspections (at least once a week) of all said laboratories, with regular feedback;
- Training personnel and students in the use of said laboratory equipment;
- Processing purchasing requests from staff and research students (fourth year project students and postgraduate students), subject to the approval of the relevant study leaders, and obtaining quotations, placing orders, and following up;
- Maintaining a database of suppliers of frequently used equipment, consumables and materials;
- Maintaining a database of service providers for maintenance and calibration of equipment;
- Ensuring that safe practices are followed in the laboratories at all times, in accordance with legal safety requirements;
- Controlling the issuing of poisonous or hazardous chemicals, ensuring that all students using poisonous or hazardous chemicals are aware of the potential dangers and requirements for safe handling;
- Ensuring that medical emergencies can be handled efficiently and without delay;
- Co-ordinating the safe en environmentally friendly disposal of used chemicals and solutions, in accordance to applicable legal requirements;
- Providing safety training to personnel and students, or arranging for such training to be provided;
- Liaising with the University’s safety officials, including the safety representatives of the Department.
- A 3-year qualification related to Chemical Engineering/Analytical Chemistry/Physics;
- At least 5 years’ experience in research support and management in the field of Chemical Engineering/Analytical Chemistry/Physics;
- Experience in the use and maintenance of mechanical, electrical and chemical instrumentation;
- Experience in the management and maintenance of chemical engineering laboratories;
- Experience in laboratory safety;
- A valid driver’s license (Code B or EB).
REQUIRED COMPETENCIES (SKILLS, KNOWLEDGE AND BEHAVIOURAL ATTRIBUTES):
- Excellent language and communications skills;
- Good interpersonal skills;
- Good computer skills (Windows, MS Office, Internet); Technically competent to:
- Execute laboratory scale experiments Prepare samples for analysis Interpret general chemical analyses
Knowledge of the following:
- Which conventional analytical laboratory techniques are used for which types of experimental investigations;
- Advanced materials, specifically polymers and basic unit operations fundamentals;
- Experimental techniques related to general chemical processing.
ADDED ADVANTAGES AND PREFERENCES:
A higher level (post-basic) qualification in Chemical Engineering/Analytical Chemistry/Physics; First aid qualification.
The all-inclusive remuneration package for this contract position will be commensurate with the incumbent’s level of appointment, as determined by UP policy guidelines.
Applicants are requested to apply online at www.up.ac.za, and follow the link: Careers@UP.
In applying for this post, please attach:
- A comprehensive CV;
- Names, e-mail addresses and telephone details of three referees whom we have permission to contact.
CLOSING DATE: 11 December 2019
No application will be considered after the closing date, or if it does not comply with at least the minimum requirements.
ENQUIRIES (application related): Mrs N Parker, Tel: (012) 420 6967
ENQUIRIES (post content related): Prof P L de Vaal, Tel: (012) 420-2475
Should you not hear from the University of Pretoria by 31 January 2020, please accept that your application has been unsuccessful.
The University of Pretoria is committed to equality, employment equity and diversity.
In accordance with the Employment Equity Plan of the University and its Employment Equity goals and targets, preference may be given, but is not limited to candidates from under-represented designated groups.
All candidates who comply with the requirements for appointment are invited to apply.
The University of Pretoria reserves the right to not fill the advertised positions.