Associate Professor/Professor in Urban Planning, Social
This is a unique opportunity to help realise a new vision of urban planning education at New Zealand's top world-ranked university and pre-eminent research led institution, the University of Auckland. The School of Architecture and Planning at the University of Auckland is looking to appoint a Full or Associate Professor to teach and research in the field of Urban Planning with a social focus. As the country's major training institution for urban planners and provider of urban planning research, your contribution will have a significant social influence for current and future generations living in Aotearoa New Zealand and internationally.
About the School
The School of Architecture and Planning in the Faculty of Creative Arts and Industries is New Zealand's leading educator of architects, urban designers and urban planners, and is highly regarded for its advanced interdisciplinary study and research, innovative design focus and studio based pedagogy. It has a diverse and internationally recognised academic staff and strong connections with its professional communities. Teaching and research are supported by excellent digital and traditional workshops and specialist studio facilities. We value our unique heritage and place in the world by developing mutually beneficial relationships and research agendas with Māori.
About the role
You will be expected to provide innovative and high-quality studio, lecture-based and seminar teaching at undergraduate and postgraduate levels in social and community issues relevant to urban planning, including diversity.
- You will supervise masters and doctoral students.
- You will make a contribution to school or faculty service and leadership.
- You will have strong interpersonal skills, relevant industry/policy interests and a commitment to having a positive impact on the urban planning profession. This will include contributing to the profile of the School and University, extending reach and influence to local authorities, council, Government, policy-makers and industry.
- You will have confidence and interest in speaking to media and wider community regarding relevant issues and opportunities.
- You will share the School's motivation to lead the programme towards more ambitious research, greater stakeholder engagement, and increased internationalisation.
- You will be committed to delivering a world-class research and publication programme.
The University of Auckland is New Zealand's leading and largest research-intensive, comprehensive university with over 42,000 students of whom 10,000 graduate annually in a wide range of professions and fields. Ranked 83= in the 2020 QS World University Rankings and in the top 100 in subject area Architecture and Built Environment (QS 2019), the University of Auckland has eight faculties (colleges) and supports a number of key leading research centres and institutes.
Auckland is a large, cosmopolitan and culturally diverse city, and the commercial heart of New Zealand. With an abundance of natural features including a stunning harbour, accessible coastline, native bush and moderate temperatures, Auckland is ranked as one of the world's best cities to live in.
You must hold a professionally recognised qualification in urban planning/planning and a PhD in planning or a related field.
For further information please contact:
Dr Kathrin Soehnel, University of Auckland, DDI: +64 9 923 9006 email: firstname.lastname@example.org
Clare Litten, University of Auckland, DDI: +64 9 923 9096, email: email@example.com
Applications close Sunday, 5 January 2020.
For further information and to apply online please visit https://jobs.auckland.ac.nz/
The University is committed to meeting its obligations under the Treaty of Waitangi and achieving equity outcomes for staff and students in a safe, inclusive and equitable environment. For further information on services for Maori, Pacific, women, LGBTQITakatapui+, people with disabilities, parenting support, flexible work and other equity issues go to www.equity.auckland.ac.nz
Direct enquiries only please - no agencies.