Lecturer/Senior Lecturer in Architectural or Building Science
- Be valued for your exceptional knowledge and experience in Architectural Science or Building Science or Architectural Engineering
- Located at our Camperdown / Darlington campus
- Full-time continuing appointment at Academic Level B or C and remuneration package $125,848 - $177,593 p.a which includes leave loading and up to 17% superannuation
About the opportunity
The Sydney School of Architecture, Design and Planning is seeking applicants with an outstanding record of research and scholarship in architectural science, building science, architectural engineering, architectural technologies and/or construction innovation, and other areas of interest to the school.
The position involves research and research-led teaching across the suite of postgraduate and undergraduate programs in Architectural Science and Architecture.
In this position you will be expected to:
- build research collaborations across the School, the University, and internationally, engage industry and buildings sector partners in your research program, publish in high quality international outlets, have impact on both your research community, and apply for research funding to develop your research program;
- attract high-quality PhD candidates and facilitate timely completion of their research projects;
- teach in the school’s undergraduate and postgraduate programs in architecture and architectural science, and units of study relevant to your expertise. Teaching responsibilities will include the coordination and delivery in whole or part of selected core and elective units of study.
The University values courage and creativity; openness and engagement; inclusion and diversity; and respect and integrity. As such, we see the importance of recruiting talent aligned to these values and are looking for a Lecturer or Senior Lecturer in Architectural or Building Science who possesses:
- a research profile in architectural science, building science, architectural engineering, or cognate fields, with a supporting research profile including competitive research grants, publications, and evidence of impact and recognition within the broader research community, commensurate with the level of appointment sought;
- a track record of successful coordination, lecturing and tutoring in architectural science, building science, or architectural engineering subjects, equivalent to the core units of study of the School’s Architectural Science and Architecture programs, in lecture, practical, laboratory and computing studio settings;
- a wide network of established relationships with key academic, industry and professional institutions, partners and stakeholders that can be leveraged to enhance the standing of the discipline, School and University;
- experience in people leadership and management within the higher education sector, including demonstrated excellence in supervising and/or mentoring others to success;
- experience in developing collaborative opportunities for cross-disciplinary teaching and research across the diverse disciplines represented in the school as well as the wider University.
From the appointment of Leslie Wilkinson as Australia’s first Chair in Architecture in 1918, the University of Sydney School of Architecture, Design and Planning has been an internationally acknowledged centre for intellectual, scientific and aesthetic enquiry in architecture and the built environment, which attracts the highest quality student applicants in Australia. In the 2019 QS World University Rankings by Subject, the school was ranked first in Australia, and 15th in the world for Architecture/Built Environment.
The school is focused on the built environment and uses the methods of architecture, design, planning, science, art, engineering, IT, and social sciences to analyse, understand and design innovative environments. We have one of Australia’s best university laboratory infrastructures for research and design in the built environment, including our Lighting Lab, Spatial Audio and Acoustics Lab, and the Indoor Environmental Quality Lab. We have a major and ongoing investment in the Design Modelling and Fabrication Lab, including architectural robotics. Our range of disciplines enables us to respond to the great and conflicting global challenges of our time – urbanisation and sustainability.
Since our inception 160 years ago, the University of Sydney has led to improve the world around us. We believe in education for all and that effective leadership makes lives better. These same values are reflected in our approach to diversity and inclusion, and underpin our long-term strategy for growth. We’re Australia's first university and have an outstanding global reputation for academic and research excellence. Across our campuses, we employ over 7600 academic and non-academic staff who support over 60,000 students.
We are undergoing significant transformative change which brings opportunity for innovation, progressive thinking, breaking with convention, challenging the status quo, and improving the world around us.
How to apply
For more information on the position and University, please view the position description available from the job’s listing on the University of Sydney careers website.
All applications must be submitted via the University of Sydney careers website. Visit sydney.edu.au/recruitment and search by the reference number 2250/1019C to apply.
Closing date: 11:30pm, Tuesday 3 December 2019
The University of Sydney is committed to diversity and social inclusion. Applications from people of culturally and linguistically diverse backgrounds; equity target groups including women, people with disabilities, people who identify as LGBTIQ; and people of Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander descent, are encouraged.
© The University of Sydney
The University reserves the right not to proceed with any appointment.