Application closing date: 25/11/2019
Salary: £21,814 - £25,941
Package: plus excellent benefits
We are looking for a Resource Assistant to join our Resource Acquisitions team in Merchiston Campus. You will undertake a range of duties to ensure efficient and effective acquisition of goods and resources for Information Services. You will record them in relevant databases, provide customer access to metadata and maintain up-to-date files of financial, contractual and transactional information. You will liaise with suppliers and University Financial Services, while responding to queries from colleagues and other customers, and advising on acquisition of goods and resources.
The post will also play a vital role in developing and supporting new services within the team and department offering the successful candidate interesting development opportunities.
The University's Resource Acquisitions team provides innovative, reliable services that are continually adapted to meet the changing needs of staff and students, supporting them to become world class professionals. Learning and Research Services assist students, staff and guests in their use of the University's broad range of technologies, collections and library services, developing the skills to help them work smarter, faster and easier.
The University is continuing to make a significant investment in its IT and digital services provision to ensure the delivery of a consistent, high quality IT and services across the University. Information Services provide innovative and reliable IT and Library services which are continually being adapted to meet the changing needs of the staff and students in a rapidly changing technology environment.
In this role, you will carry out a range of acquisition activities, such as: ordering, receiving and processing print and electronic resources. You will be responsible for renewing journal subscriptions and managing journal patterns in Alma Library Management System. Additionally, you will assist with acquisition of other goods and services as required, including obtaining ISSN and assigning ISBN numbers and processing inter-lending requests.
You will bring a strong customer focus to all work undertaken and identify opportunities to continually improve processes and performance of the team and department. You will have good analytical skills and be able to work as an individual, as well as a part of a team. You will have great communication skills evidenced by being able to handle enquiries via call management system, email, telephone and in person.
Who we are looking for
Applicants must demonstrate:
- Evidence of education to higher grade or of the theory and practice of work equivalent to higher grade, or equivalent relevant/demonstrable experience.
- Education in librarianship or information related subjects (Desirable).
- Proven track record of being supportive towards other members of a team.
- Evidence of responding promptly, politely and accurately and knowing when to refer an enquiry to another member of staff.
- Ability to solve day to day problems and to complete tasks to a given set of instructions.
- Experience of working with a Library Management System or equivalent specialist software.
- Up-to-date working knowledge of Library routines, particularly in an academic environment (Desirable).
- Attention to detail and ability to work accurately.
- Ability to work as an individual as well as a part of a team.
- Ability to work to deadlines and use initiative.
- Excellent communication and interpersonal skills.
- Ability to undertake tasks that require moderate physical activity, e.g. carrying books, pushing a trolley, and to use a PC for the majority of the working day.
If this opportunity sounds of interest, please click here to read the full role profile/description.
Benefits we offer
In return, we offer a great working environment where we support ambition, recognise achievement and offer an attractive benefits package. This includes a minimum of 36 days annual leave (includes bank holidays), a generous pension scheme, professional development opportunities, discounted access to onsite sports facilities and a wide range of other staff discounts.
Salary: GBP 21,814 - GBP 25,941 (Grade 3)
- Application closing date: Monday 25th November 2019 (Midnight GMT)
- Interviews: Wednesday 11th December 2019
To apply, please complete our online application form and attach an up to date copy of your CV
This role does not meet the minimum requirements set by UKVI to enable sponsorship of migrant workers. Therefore, we cannot progress applications from candidates who require sponsorship to work in the UK. For further information on this, please visit the UK Visas and Immigration website: https://www.gov.uk/browse/visas-immigration/work-visas
The University is committed to inclusion, demonstrated through our work in respect of our diversity awards and accreditations (Advance HE's Athena SWAN Charter) and hold Disability Confident, Career Positive and Stonewall Scotland Diversity Champion status. More details can be found here