Research Safety Manager
Hamad Bin Khalifa University (HBKU), a member of Qatar Foundation for Education, Science, and Community Development (QF), was founded in 2010 to continue fulfilling QF’s vision of unlocking human potential. HBKU is an emerging research university that acts as a catalyst for positive change in Qatar and the region while having a global impact.
To lead the overall safety program at HBKU Research facilities and satellite laboratories.
Key Result Areas
- Develop and oversee the implementation of a comprehensive safety program at the research complex and satellite laboratories
- Lead and supervise the safety personnel comprising of experts in technical safety, health safety, environmental safety, chemicals safety and safety training
- Oversee the development of a safety manual for each laboratory completing commissioning and beginning operation
- Take action if a laboratory does not meet all the safety requirements and if necessary, approve shut-down of the lab until safety requirements are met
- Develop and lead a safety inspection/audit program to ensure safety measures are in place
- Investigate and provide recommendations and lessons learnt from each safety incident and near miss incident in the research facilities and affiliated laboratories
- Deliver presentations during executive meetings to highlight the safety program, point out any deficiencies and shortcomings as well as highlight any safety concerns
- Oversee the safety training program being administered by the safety team and ensure the quality and effectiveness of the program
- Participate, review and advise on lab designs and modifications, to ensure safety is built into the design, building safety systems, codes and standards are met, fire safety codes are met and chemicals, gases & toxic materials safety is incorporated
- Ensure required hazard reviews are conducted
- Participate in technical meetings, commissioning meetings and activities
- Award laboratories that have been commissioned and have met the safety requirements permit to start research operations
- Coordinate environmental safety at the facility overall and also specific to each laboratory including hazardous materials handling and disposal, waste disposal, and exhaust systems
- Other reasonable tasks as assigned by supervisor
Operating Environment, Framework, and Boundaries
- The work will be at the research facility and satellite laboratories.
- Position will be on call at all times.
- Occasional work outside of normal working hours.
- Compliance with all relevant HBKU and HSSE policies and procedures, regulatory/best practice protocols as well as national and governmental research compliance protocols and procedures.
Communications and Working Relationships
- Supervisor - frequent contact to provide progress reports and to collaborate on planning
- Contractors & service providers - oversee and coordinate the work at the research facilities
- Researchers - works closely to ensure safe practices are implemented, safety manuals are available, safety focal point is assigned, and required safety trainings are completed
- HBKU Management - works to keep them up to speed on safety programs, highlights incidents and lessons learnt, present regular safety presentations during executive meetings
- Design and construction contractors - work closely to capture safety requirements for new labs and facilities, safety design review of labs being remodeled, to ensure design compliance to safety standards and Good Manufacturing Practices/Good Laboratory Practices (GMP/GLP) regulations
Problem Solving & Complexity
- Evaluates, compares and relates information from across the business
- Identifies broader implications of proposed solutions across the organization
- Uses own experience and evidence from theory, other industries and technologies to identify problems and understand situations
- Reviews existing policy to enable effective problem solving and judgment by the team
Decision Making Authority & Responsibility
- Exhibits sound judgment to anticipate potential implications of all decisions; balances benefits and risks and identifies areas of uncertainty
- Evaluates information by penetrating questions, thus ensuring complete information is available to make an informed decision
- Arrives at well-researched decisions that balance quality service and cost
- Encourages and supports appropriate risk taking by subordinates when making decisions
Minimum Knowledge, Skills & Experience
- Bachelor's degree in a related discipline. Master's degree preferred
- 8-10 years of relevant full-time work experience and safety management in research and development laboratories
- Outstanding knowledge of safety management & requirements in research and laboratory facilities
- Familiar with laboratory management system software
- Experience with managing a safety group specializing in various lab safety functions
- Considerable knowledge of risk management practices and of R&D practices
- Excellent writing skills with the ability to draft and edit a variety of written reports and communications and to articulate ideas clearly and concisely;
- Arabic proficiency is an advantage
- Proficiency in MS Office applications
How to Apply
Please submit your completed application (CV, cover letter and the names of three references with their full contact information) via the following link: Click here to apply
Review of applications is expected to begin soon and continue until the position is filled and shortlist will be contacted for interviews.
HBKU offers an attractive compensation package that includes a tax-free salary and additional benefits such as an education allowance, furnished accommodation, annual paid leave, air tickets, and medical insurance.
HBKU is an equal opportunity educator and employer. We are committed to maintaining culturally and academically diverse staff of the highest caliber.