Research Data Stewards, Melbourne Data Analytics Platform
Work type: Fixed Term
Division/Faculty: Chancellery Research and Enterprise
Department/School: Melbourne Data Analytics Platform (MDAP)
Positions Available: Multiple
Superannuation Rate: Employer contribution of 17%
Working Hours: Full-time
- Level A - $72,083 - $97,812 per annum
- Level B - $102,967 - $122,268 per annum
Fantastic two-year academic opportunities available for appointment at either Level A or Level B.
The level of appointment offered will be subject to the appointee’s academic teaching and/or research record, qualifications and experience.
About The University of Melbourne
Established in 1853, the University of Melbourne is a leading international university with a tradition of excellence in teaching and research. The main campus in Parkville is recognised as the hub of Australia’s premier knowledge precinct comprising eight hospitals, many leading research institutes and a wide-range of knowledge-based industries. With outstanding performance in international rankings, the University is at the forefront of higher education in the Asia-Pacific region and the world.
The University employs people of outstanding calibre and offers a unique environment where staff are valued and rewarded:
About the Melbourne Data Analytics Platform (MDAP)
The Melbourne Data Analytics Platform (MDAP) was established in June 2019 as a workforce of translators to support data-intensive research. Currently employing data specialists and data stewards, the platform collaborates on research projects from all areas of the University. This team is working to ensure our researchers, students and collaborators have the necessary tools and resources now, and in the future to keep us at the leading edge of research in this exciting, fast-paced era of data science.
MDAP was established as part of the Petascale Campus Initiative (PCI): a five-year plan to increase the informatics, data and computing capabilities for the University over 2018 to 2022. PCI has a structure to support our researcher-led vision: embedding a process of continual consideration, development and resourcing for both our digital science infrastructure and the academic specialists who will help us maximise our use of that infrastructure http://mdap.unimelb.edu.au
About the Positions
As a Research Data Steward you will be highly flexible, collaborative and innovative, committed to maintaining and improving the University’s research data management capabilities as part of the Melbourne Data Analytics Platform (MDAP). You will improve research data identification, management, curation, and preservation at the University of Melbourne by advising researchers, connecting researchers with existing services, and through hands-on collaboration and knowledge transfer with researchers. You will be expected to help build and maintain communities of practice for those undertaking research data support across the University and beyond.
You will be working closely with existing capability in digital curation, digital preservation, and research data management experts. You will support the implementation of digital preservation, as an integrated part of the University’s operational capabilities in digital assets management, research data management and digital collections. Reporting to the MDAP Lead, you will be involved in aiding in the implementation of policies, procedures, central and domain specific guidance.
This position will provide you with the opportunity to provide advice, support and development to University of Melbourne researchers. This could include being engaged in the production of research outputs such as publications, creative outputs, grant applications, patents, or open-source software projects. You will contribute to the development of graduate researchers, research project management, or lab management. You will also deliver support and development programs, including those across post graduate, team and non-standard research projects.
In this position you will help to strengthen communities of practice through active collaboration, networking and membership across all research areas. You will be required to draw upon, and work on developing your wide engagement networks, to enhance leadership and visibility of data intensive research.
- A research degree or equivalent work experience in a data-intensive research field.
- Knowledge or practical experience of data management including current technologies such as data repositories, standards in descriptive and preservation metadata, research methodology and research data curation practices, and how data (digital) and software underpins high quality research
- Strong technical expertise in at least one area of data collection, analysis, management or presentation.
- Excellent communication skills, including the ability to communicate across academic disciplines.
- Advocacy, negotiation, and influencing skills and a proactive, innovative, and user-focused approach to building relationships across a range of professional and disciplinary areas and demonstrated experience in building and maintaining relationships with key stakeholders
- Ability to work in a team environment and contribute to team building.
- Comfortable with a performance-based culture, including being open, honest, and direct in speech or writing, especially when dealing with unpalatable matters, and the ability to self-reflect and set goals.
How to apply
To apply for this role, please submit your Cover Letter, CV and responses to the key selection criteria as outlined in the position description.
For information to assist you with compiling short statements to answer the selection criteria, please go to:
You may also be interested in: 0048384 RESEARCH DATA SPECIALISTS – MULTIPLE POSITIONS
Applications close: 01 Dec 2019 11:55 PM AUS Eastern Daylight Time