Assistant Professor of Finance, Teaching and Scholarship
Location Edinburgh, GB
Organization Name Edinburgh Business School/School of Social Sciences - Accounting and Finance
About Heriot-Watt University
Heriot-Watt University has five campuses: three in the UK (Edinburgh, Scottish Borders and Orkney), one in Dubai and one in Malaysia. The University offers a highly distinctive range of degree programmes in the specialist areas of science, engineering, design, business and languages.
With a history dating back to 1821, Heriot-Watt University has established a reputation for world-class teaching and practical, leading-edge research, which has made it one of the top UK universities for business and industry. We connect with industry at every level and develop programmes to match their needs – so employers get work-ready industry-fit graduates.
Heriot-Watt is also Scotland's most international university, boasting the largest international student cohort.
We have an established set of values that help us to nurture innovation and leadership, and show our commitment to continuous improvement and development in all our activities.
For full details on our University please view our Careers at Heriot-Watt http://www.hw.ac.uk/about/careers-at-heriot-watt.htm
About our Team
The Department of Accountancy, Economics and Finance, in the School of Social Sciences, is home to around 40 academics based across Edinburgh, Dubai and Malaysia campuses. The Department is organised in three subject groups that include Accountancy, Economics and Finance. We offer a range of fully accredited undergraduate programmes in Accountancy and Finance as well as range of specialist Masters degrees that represent these subject areas.
Our staff research interests are available here. Our research in Accountancy and Finance benefits from interdisciplinary collaboration both within the School and across other key areas of expertise in the University and beyond, including industry and commerce. This is reflected by our established Accounting Research Centre and Centre for Finance and Investment.
We are seeking to appoint an Assistant Professor to Edinburgh Business School/School of Social Sciences to support the Finance subject area.
The post holder will provide academic expertise in Finance.
Key duties and responsibilities ·
- Design and undertake teaching in a developing capacity in a variety of settings from small group tutorials to large lectures, to support the delivery of Heriot-Watt University’s aims. As module leader or tutor, co-ordinate with others (such as support staff or academic colleagues) to ensure student needs and expectations are met. Willingness to participate in delivery of Graduate Apprenticeship courses is desirable.
- Extend, transform and apply knowledge acquired from scholarship to teaching, research and appropriate external activities. This includes commitment to supporting student study by identifying learning needs of students and defining appropriate learning objectives and ensuring content, methods of delivery and learning materials will meet these. Planning, authoring and designing (and revising) new course material as part of the School’s teaching programmes, and make proposals as to how this could be achieved. Sole responsibility for the design and delivery of their own modules and assessment methods. Challenge thinking, foster debate and develop the ability of students to engage in critical discourse and rational thinking.
- Develop internal and external networks, for example to identify sources of funding, increase student recruitment, market Heriot-Watt University, generate income and obtain consultancy projects.
- Supervise the work of students, providing advice on study skills and help them with learning problems. Select appropriate assessment methods, assess the work and progress of students on this basis and provide constructive feedback to students.
- Provide pastoral support with sensitive issues concerning students, and recognise when further help may be required.
- Continually update knowledge and understanding in their field or specialism and translate knowledge advances in the subject area into the course of study. Undertake continuous professional development (CPD) and participate in staff development activities.
- Participate and lead internal and external committees, for example teaching groups, examination boards, progression boards etc. Also, the role holder will be required to contribute to administration within the School. Collaborate with academic colleagues on course development, curriculum changes and other strategic issues such as student recruitment and marketing.
- For contracts including research: Develop research objectives and proposals for own or joint research and conduct individual and collaborative research projects, with a commitment to participate in collaborative research. Author and submit research proposals to suitable funding organisations. Prepare proposals and applications to external bodies e.g. for funding and accreditation purposes. Plan and manage research activity, taking responsibility for developing an appropriate programme of research and obtaining the resources required for its implementation. Disseminate results of research in peer reviewed journals and conferences, and/or through other appropriate media. Make presentations at conferences or exhibit work at other appropriate events and participate in peer review as an individual reviewer.
- For contracts including research: Supervise Research Students/Research Associates as appropriate.
Please note this job description is not exhaustive, and the role holder may be required to undertake other relevant duties commensurate with the grading of the post. Activities may be subject to amendment over time as the role develops and/or priorities and requirements evolve
Education, qualifications and experience
- Possess sufficient breadth and depth of specialist knowledge in the discipline to develop courses and subject streams and an appropriate programme of research.
- Ability to use a range of delivery techniques to enthuse and engage students.
- Experience of working in a Higher Education or similar environment.
- Experience of working in a multicultural environment.
- A very good Undergraduate, Postgraduate Degree and PhD are desirable.
- A chartered accountant or private/public sector experience in accountancy/finance are desirable.
For research contracts: A publication record/pipeline and research background in related subjects to this post is desirable.
How To Apply
Applications can be submitted up to midnight (UK time) on 26 November 2019.
Applications are particularly welcome from women and black and ethnic minority ethnic candidates, who are under-represented in academic posts at Heriot-Watt.
Two academic references are required. Please include a covering letter which states your existing salary.
Consideration will be given to applications on a part-time and/or job-share basis.
Use our total rewards calculator to see the value of benefits provided by Heriot-Watt University
Minimum Salary 32817
Maximum Salary 40322
Amount of Travel Minimum Travel