Postdoc and PhD Position in Structural Biology of Wnt Signaling
Postdoc and PhD positions in structural biology of Wnt signaling
CEITEC is a scientific centre in the fields of life sciences, advanced materials and technologies whose aim is to establish itself as a recognized centre for basic as well as applied research. CEITEC offers a state-of-the-art infrastructure and great conditions to employ excellent researchers.
Our institute values diversity and promotes an inclusive working environment with the aim to support the best scientists. CEITEC MU is a proud holder of the HR Excellence in Research Award by the European Commission. (http://muni.ceitec.cz/en/hr-strategy-hrs4r/)
Research Group: Protein-DNA interactions
Research Group Leader: Konstantinos Tripsianes, Ph.D.
We apply structural biology methods in order to gain a mechanistic view of CK1ε action in the Wnt signalling pathways. CK1ε represents an attractive therapeutic target but currently two key steps in the CK1ε-mediated Wnt signal transduction are unclear: (PostDoc Project) how CK1ε gets activated and/or engages target proteins in response to Wnt signal and (PhD project) how CK1ε phosphorylates its key substrate DVL and what are the consequences of DVL phosphorylation.
Our preliminary data suggest that we can efficiently apply methods of integrated structural biology to (i) probe the DVL conformational landscape using in vitro and in vivo FRET sensors coupled to SAXS and CryoEM, (ii) understand the (auto)phosphorylation regulatory mechanisms of CK1ε, (iii) analyse by NMR the functional consequences of DVL phosphorylation and (iv) monitor DVL phosphorylation by real-time NMR under controlled cellular conditions.
Both positions are part of a multidisciplinary project that combines (i) cellular and molecular biology, (ii) proteomic analysis, (iii) biochemistry and structural biology, and received generous funding in a very competitive grant scheme.
CEITEC is a vibrant work place with excellent colleagues and infrastructure comparable to the best institutions in Europe for: (i) cryo-electron microscopy (Titan Krios with phase plate, Falcon3, and K2 direct electron detectors, Talos Arctica equipped with Falcon3 direct electron detector, Tecnai F20, FIB/SEM Versa3D, and vitrification robot), (ii) X-ray crystallography equipped with the BioSAXS arm on the Rigaku diffraction system, (iii) high-field NMR (500 MHz, 600 MHz, 2 × 700 MHz, 850 MHz, and 950 MHz equipped with high-sensitivity cryogenically cooled probeheads), (iv) biointeractions (SPR, ITC, DSC, MST, DSF, AUC, CD).
We are looking for highly motivated researchers with a strong background or interest in structural biology. Hands-on experience with protein expression and purification is prerequisite. Experience with biomolecular NMR is a plus.
- Salary that will be based on the candidate’s qualifications and experience.
- Background of a recognized and successful institution with supportive and international working environment
- Support with the relocation process (welcome office service)
- 6 weeks of paid holiday
Anticipated start date: Immediately or upon agreement.
Please send application (including CV, short statement of research background/interests and the contact information of at least two references) or queries by email to: email@example.com
Please quote the “position” in the subject.
Electronic application deadline is: December 24th 2019
Information about Brno, Czech Republic
- The capital of South Moravian Region and the second largest city in the Czech Republic with a population of almost 400,000 people
- Modern, dynamic and fast growing centre of industry, trade, science, research and innovation with business incubators and centres of excellence in science
- A city of universities with more than 86,000 students
- More than 10,000 researchers; 2,200 IF publications/year; 600+ PhD graduates/year,
- 500 mil. EUR of R&D investment per year, more than 350 companies with in-house R&D,
- City of Gregor Mendel, the founder of genetics; the prestigious Mendel Lectures series takes place in Brno since 2003 (lectures of the world´s top scientists, including Nobel Prize winners),
- Quality of life index in 2016
For further information about:
- CEITEC, please visit www.ceitec.eu
- CEITEC Welcome Office, please visit http://www.ceitec.eu/ceitec-welcome-office/t1137
- Masaryk University, please visit www.muni.cz
- Brno, please visit http://www2.brno.cz/index.php?lan=en&nav01=20608&nav02=20617