Assistant Professor, Human Resource Management and Law, Teaching and Scholarship
Location Edinburgh, GB
Organization Name EBS/School of Social Sciences
About Heriot-Watt University
Heriot-Watt University has five campuses: three in the UK (Edinburgh, Scottish Borders and Orkney), one in Dubai and one in Malaysia. The University offers a highly distinctive range of degree programmes in the specialist areas of science, engineering, design, business and languages.
With a history dating back to 1821, Heriot-Watt University has established a reputation for world-class teaching and practical, leading-edge research, which has made it one of the top UK universities for business and industry. We connect with industry at every level and develop programmes to match their needs – so employers get work-ready industry-fit graduates.
Edinburgh Business School is part of the School of Social Sciences at Heriot-Watt University. We have staff across all three campuses and deliver a range of undergraduate and postgraduate taught and research degrees. We also deliver online MBA and specialist MSc programmes and work through a network of Approved Learning Partners.
We have an established set of values that help us to nurture innovation and leadership, and show our commitment to continuous improvement and development in all our activities.
For full details on our University please view our Careers at Heriot-Watt http://www.hw.ac.uk/about/careers-at-heriot-watt.htm
About our Team
Edinburgh Business School is looking to appoint an Assistant Professor (Teaching & Scholarship) in the area of HRM. The successful candidate will be required to participate in a range of HRM undergraduate and postgraduate teaching, learning and assessment activities across our various delivery modes including our three campuses and online.
This role is ideal for an academic who aspires to work in an environment that allows them to combine practical experience with contemporary approaches to human resource management. The ideal candidate will have a PhD or equivalent, with an interest in delivering high-quality learning experiences to our students. Experience of working in HR or management roles would also be desirable.
Key duties and responsibilities
- Deliver innovative teaching of HR related subjects at both undergraduate and postgraduate levels.
- Contribute to curriculum development in the subject area, thus ensuring our courses and programmes remain current, relevant, and of the highest academic standard.
- Provide flexible, appropriate, and timely support to students using a variety of media.
- Prepare and mark assessments as required, and in line with EBS policies and standards.
- Act as supervisor and mentor for students completing undergraduate and postgraduate dissertations.
- Act as an HRM and Law group representative on University committees and working groups.
- Ensure research and scholarship activity is aligned to EBS programmes and used to inform and update content.
To undertake other duties as required by the Head of the HRM and Law group.
Education, qualifications and experience
- PhD or equivalent in a relevant subject area
- Demonstrable record of teaching at either post graduate or under graduate level
- Fluent communication skills
- Flexibility and initiative
- Ability to represent EBS both within HWU and to external parties
- Ability to use new technology in teaching
- Willingness and ability to travel to and teach on HWU global campuses.
- Relevant professional qualifications
- Experience of teaching MBA students
- Experience of online distance learning programmes
- Managerial experience
- Experience of academic committee work
- Experience of using new technology in the context of online distance learning.
How To Apply
Applications can be submitted up to midnight (UK time) on 12 November 2019.
At Heriot-Watt University we understand that being diverse makes us better which is why we support a culture of respect and equal opportunity, and value diversity at the heart of what we do. We want to increase the diversity of our workplace to underpin a dynamic and creative environment.
We welcome and will consider flexible working patterns e.g. part-time working and job share options.
Use our total rewards calculator: https://www.hw.ac.uk/about/work/total-rewards-calculator.htm to see the value of benefits provided by Heriot-Watt University.
Minimum Salary 32817
Maximum Salary 40322
Amount of Travel Minimum Travel