Teaching Assistant in Entrepreneurship, Leadership and Strategy
Location Edinburgh, GB
Organization Name EBS
About Heriot-Watt University
Heriot-Watt University has five campuses: three in the UK (Edinburgh, Scottish Borders and Orkney), one in Dubai and one in Malaysia. The University offers a highly distinctive range of degree programmes in the specialist areas of science, engineering, design, business and languages.
With a history dating back to 1821, Heriot-Watt University has established a reputation for world-class teaching and practical, leading-edge research, which has made it one of the top UK universities for business and industry. We connect with industry at every level and develop programmes to match their needs – so employers get work-ready industry-fit graduates.
Heriot-Watt is also Scotland's most international university, boasting the largest international student cohort.
We have an established set of values that help us to nurture innovation and leadership, and show our commitment to continuous improvement and development in all our activities.
For full details on our University please view our Careers at Heriot-Watt http://www.hw.ac.uk/about/careers-at-heriot-watt.htm
About our Team
Edinburgh Business School, Heriot-Watt University (EBS) provides management education across the world in Edinburgh, Malaysia, Dubai, Online and via a network of approved learning partners.
EBS has been engaged in a significant project to redevelop its curriculum and online pedagogy and, to support the development of new courses, we are seeking to appoint a Teaching Assistant for a fixed period of six months to support the development of our new online courses in the Entrepreneurship, Leadership and Strategy areas.
The role will involve working with academic colleagues to convert existing face-to-face courses into online learning materials to be used by students worldwide. The successful candidate will be required to design learning materials, plan activities, design discussion exercises, support and develop guidance for both formative and summative assessments. There is an opportunity to work across a number of different subject areas. The core focus of the role will be our two entrepreneurship courses but there will be opportunities to support students studying our leadership MBA course and assist in the development of courses in the strategy area as well.
The ideal candidate will have a PhD, or working towards one, and may have some experience of supporting student learning through delivery of tutorials, setting and marking of assessments. Candidates should have expertise and experience in one or more of the following areas: enterprise, leadership, strategic management.
Key duties and responsibilities
- To deliver a range of teaching and assessment activities
- To contribute to the development of appropriate online learning materials to ensure content and methods of delivery meet learning objectives
- To participate in the assessment process for relevant courses as required
- To contribute to the ongoing development and re-design of the online curriculum, including development of case studies, online exercises and video content as appropriate
- To engage with online EBS students via discussion forums and other methods
- To undertake limited administrative duties as requested by the Director of Digital Education
- To be familiar with subject-based pedagogy.
Education, qualifications and experience
- PhD or equivalent in a relevant subject area or be working towards one
- Successful teaching experience
- Fluent communication skills
- Flexibility and initiative
- Ability to use new technology in teaching and to and keep abreast of developments in that area
- Willingness and ability to travel to and teach on HWU global campuses and ALPs.
- Relevant professional qualifications
- Experience of online distance learning programmes. Industry experience
- Experience of using new technology in the context of online distance learning
How To Apply
Applications can be submitted up to midnight (UK time) on Wednesday 30 October 2019.
This role does not meet the minimum requirements set by UKVI to enable sponsorship of non-European nationals. Therefore we cannot progress applications from candidates who require sponsorship to work in the UK. For further information on this please visit the UK Visas and Immigration website: https://www.gov.uk/browse/visas-immigration/work-visas
At Heriot-Watt University we understand that being diverse makes us better which is why we support a culture of respect and equal opportunity, and value diversity at the heart of what we do. We want to increase the diversity of our workplace to underpin a dynamic and creative environment.
We welcome and will consider flexible working patterns e.g. part-time working and job share options.
Use our total rewards calculator: https://www.hw.ac.uk/about/work/total-rewards-calculator.htm to see the value of benefits provided by Heriot-Watt University.
Minimum Salary 26715
Maximum Salary 30942
Amount of Travel Occasional International Travel