Lecturer in Jewellery
4 days left
- Full Time
Location: School of Jewellery
Salary: £36,590 to £49,178 per annum pro rata
Closing Date: Saturday 30 November 2019
Interview Date: Tuesday 10 December 2019
The Birmingham School of Jewellery is the largest in Europe with seven under-graduate and two post-graduate courses across Jewellery and Silversmithing, Gemmology, Horology, Business and related Management subjects. The School comprises forms half of the Birmingham Institute of Jewellery, Fashion and Textiles and is one of the four new Institutes in the highly successful Faculty of Art Design and Media which had its Art & Design ranked in the top 151 - 200 institutions in the world in the QS World University Rankings 2020.The School operates over three sites in the Birmingham’s historic jewellery Quarter; the original Vittoria Street school, a floor within the Assay Office Moreton street and our very recently opened St Pauls Square post-graduate jewellery research facility. Together they offer unrivalled facilities and expertise delivered by around thirty full time and part-time academic staff supported by a strong technical team.
The School is seeking to appoint an enthusiastic and experienced lecturer to join our award winning MA Jewellery and Related Products course and work across the School and wider faculty as necessary.
As an enthusiastic designer/maker, teacher your own practice and /or research will have given you confidence and experience with three-dimensional design and making in a variety of materials.
You will be an excellent team worker and with colleagues ensure the efficient and effective delivery of teaching programmes in accordance with University strategy, policy and procedures, to deliver an excellent Student Learning Experience.
You will be expected to:
- Be responsible for oversight and implementation of day to day operational processes
- Develop and apply innovative and appropriate teaching techniques and material which create interest, understanding and enthusiasm amongst students.
- Oversee the monitoring of student progress and provide advice and guidance to personal tutors and students as appropriate, including oversight of the needs of students with special requirements and processes pertaining to mitigating circumstances.
- Be currently, or willing to be, producing high quality subject related research outputs with demonstrable impact, in particular influencing leading edge practice
- Contribute to the overall management of the Course and undertake line management responsibilities as required.
- Be responsible for setting standards and monitoring progress against agreed criteria
- Depth or breadth of specialist knowledge indicated by a suitable professional qualification or demonstrable relevant success.
- Knowledge of higher education and ability to use a range of delivery techniques to enthuse and engage students
- Experience of teaching curriculum development and quality management and enhancement in an HE environment.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills
- Able to communicate complex and conceptual ideas to a range of groups
- Able to participate in and develop external networks.
- Able to demonstrate independent and self-managing work styles.
- Able to plan and prioritise workload and that of others
- Demonstrates strong student-centric approach to ways of working and commitment to high quality standard.
- Depth or breadth of specialist knowledge demonstrated preferably by a doctorate level qualification, in order to teach and support learning on academic modules, or professional doctorate or National Practice leadership.
- Experience of managing a team and/or functions in a busy environment with conflicting priorities.
As part of your application, please attach your CV and Covering Letter. Candidates are advised to remove personal information, including names to ensure a fair and transparent recruitment process.