Grant-Funded Researcher A, School of Physical Sciences
(Level A) $86,587 to $92,792 per annum plus an employer contribution of 9.5% superannuation will apply
Fixed term position through to December 2021
Be involved in a project that involves geochronology capability based on deep high-precision rock and fluid sampling of noble gas analysis
The University of Adelaide has secured funding for a 2-year research project to pioneer applications of the HR-NGMS and rock vacuum crusher, including for estimation of the age of deep rocks (up to several billions of years) relevant to underground disposal of nuclear waste, the corroborative dating of some of the oldest forms of multicellular complex life on earth (palaeoecology) and understanding of geological fault processes and deep fluid movements relevant to mineral exploration.
The Project team will apply and develop the novel technology using deep rock samples from several locations to demonstrate the unique, fit-for-purpose capability of a combined vacuum crusher-HELIX MC system.
To be successful you will need:
- PhD or equivalent in an area of earth sciences is required.
- Demonstrated research capability in the broad area of mineral system geology or groundwater sciences, with demonstrated application of at least one of the following: noble gas hydrology, isotope geochemistry, hydrogeology, geochronology, thermochronology, petrology, noble gas mass spectrometry.
- Demonstrated ability to conduct independent research and critically analyse data, in addition to working effectively as a member of a research team.
- Experience with geochemical modelling software.
- Good verbal and written communication skills and interpersonal skills.
Enjoy an outstanding career environment
The University of Adelaide is a uniquely rewarding workplace. The size, breadth and quality of our education and research programs - including significant industry, government and community collaborations - offers you vast scope and opportunity for a long, fulfilling career.
It also enables us to attract high-calibre people in all facets of our operations, ensuring you will be surrounded by talented colleagues, many world-leading. Our work's cutting-edge nature - not just in your own area, but across virtually the full spectrum of human endeavour - provides a constant source of inspiration.
Our core values are honesty, respect, fairness, discovery and excellence. Our culture is one that welcomes all and embraces diversity. We are firm believers that our people are our most valuable asset, so we work to grow and diversify the skills of our staff.
In addition, we offer a wide range of attractive staff benefits. These include: salary packaging; flexible work arrangements; high-quality professional development programs and activities; and an on-campus health clinic, gym and other fitness facilities.
Learn more at: adelaide.edu.au/jobs
Your faculty's broader role
The Faculty of Sciences is a multidisciplinary hub of cutting-edge teaching and research in: agriculture; food and wine; animal and veterinary sciences; biological sciences; and physical sciences. It develops future science leaders, and actively partners with innovative industries to solve scientific problems of global significance.
Learn more at: sciences.adelaide.edu.au
If you want to change tomorrow, act today
Click the link to the online application form below and address and upload your responses to all selection criteria.
Applications close 11:55 pm, 18 November 2019.
For further information
For a confidential discussion regarding this position, contact:
Professor Nigel Spooner
School of Physical Sciences
P: +61 (8) 831 34852
For a confidential discussion regarding the application process for this position, contact:
HR Coordinator, Faculty of Sciences
P: +61 (8) 831 39271
You'll find a full selection criteria below: (If no links appear, try viewing on another device)
The University of Adelaide is an Equal Employment Opportunity employer. Women and Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander people who meet the requirements of this position are strongly encouraged to apply.
More searches like this
- Fixed Term Geology, Environmental, Earth & Marine Sciences Academic Posts jobs in Adelaide
- Fixed Term Geology, Environmental, Earth & Marine Sciences Postdocs jobs in Adelaide
- Fixed Term Geology, Environmental, Earth & Marine Sciences Research Related jobs in Adelaide
- Fixed Term Geology, Environmental, Earth & Marine Sciences Other Research Related jobs in Adelaide