Senior Lecturer, Economics
Senior Lecturer, Economics
Job no: 583550
Work type: Full time - Fixed term/Contract
Location: Vietnam - Ho Chi Minh
Categories: Economics / Business, Teaching and Research
RMIT is a global university of technology, design and enterprise. Our mission is to help shape the world through research, innovation, teaching and engagement, and to create transformative experiences for our students, getting them ready for life and work.
As an internationally recognized Australian university based in Asia, RMIT Vietnam assists in the development of the region by providing opportunities for students from around the world to belong to an international educational community that supports them to achieve their potential in an increasingly globalized world.
RMIT Vietnam, an entity of RMIT University, has campuses in Ho Chi Minh City and Hanoi since 2001. We provide internationally recognised, high-quality, education and professional training for students, clients and the community, and assist in the development of human resources capability in Vietnam and the region by hosting students from Australia and many other countries.
The role and responsibilities
As a Senior Lecturer you will contribute to the teaching and research efforts of the school, in disciplines related to your field of expertise. Specifically, you will be responsible for carrying out teaching activities across undergraduate, Masters and Graduate Diploma programs and maintain and advance scholarly, research and/or professional capabilities. You will be expected to actively promote the programs by establishing and maintaining memberships, links and partnerships with academic, industry and professional communities. You will develop, engage in and lead high quality research projects that are aligned with the school’s research focus areas to achieve success in attracting research funding and to produce high quality outputs. Your role will be significant in the area of research leadership; embedding your research expertise into the life of the school and in developing high-quality, productivity-driven networks across RMIT and with local, national and global, internal and external partners. You may also have the opportunity to manage programs.
For a more detailed account of the position responsibilities, you can click on the following link:
JD_Senior Lecturer Economics_October 2019.pdf
Key selection criteria
- PhD in Economics or equivalent relevant Doctoral qualification.
- Familiarity with related fields of the block-chain economy and economics of cryptocurrencies is desirable.
- Ability to prepare and deliver programs at undergraduate and postgraduate levels, including online delivery, and the ability to produce high quality curriculum or program materials.
- Ability to undertake course coordination role and to manage a varying scope of small to large programs.
- Capability to work effectively with and to negotiate sensitively with students especially on issues related to effective learning.
- Established track record and recognition for quality research outputs which will contribute to existing Discipline and School research areas evidenced by publications, development of new research initiatives, competitive research funding, and industry links.
- Extensive experience in research leadership with the ability to build and develop collaborative research teams, mentor academic staff to deliver high quality outcomes, attract and secure external research funding to sustain research effort and manage funded research projects including complex budgets and reporting requirements.
- Extensive experience in supervising higher degree by research candidates to maximise research performance.
- Ability to build effective networks with colleagues and generate alternative funding projects through effective liaison with industry and government.
- Recent and sustained performance regarding student outcomes, student experience and feedback; combined with experience and skill in a range of teaching settings.
- Ability to work with external partners, industries, organisations and communities and can operate effectively to address complex issues or seek opportunities
Benefits for successful applicants:
- Highly competitive VND salary (plus allowances) for Vietnamese candidates or attractive USD salary package (plus benefits) for expatriate candidates depending on proven track records in meeting all the key selection criteria.
- Commitment to ongoing professional and personal development.
- 20 days annual leave plus two University public holidays (in addition to standard VN public holidays) plus additional 4 days paid leave over Christmas period 2019, plus 10 days sick leave per annum.
- Expatriate candidates: Relocation allowance + flight + reimbursement of all work permit and visa related costs + private medical insurance + annual health check
- Vietnamese candidates: 13th month Tet bonus + private medical insurance + annual health check.
- Free shuttle bus service to and from campus to D1 and D7 for pick up and drop off (Monday-Friday)
- Free on-site gym facilities plus variety of well being and fitness classes available to staff.
- Access to extensive international online library and resources
- Undergraduate education fee support for dependents after a two-year qualifying period.
- English is the language of teaching and communication at RMIT Vietnam. For this role, the minimum requirement is IELTS 7.0, or BULATS Advanced level (BULATS score 75) or equivalent.
- As an expatriate candidate you will require a work permit to be employed in Vietnam. To qualify for a work permit you will need a PhD qualification and you will need to be able to demonstrate at least 5 years of teaching Economics focused subjects in a tertiary education environment.
How to apply
Click on the ‘Apply Now’ link. Applications close on 17 November 2019
Advertised: 17 Oct 2019 SE Asia Standard Time
Applications close: 17 Nov 2019 SE Asia Standard Time