Manager, Financial Planning and Analysis
62200 Putrajaya, MY
Heriot-Watt University Malaysia
About Heriot-Watt University
Heriot-Watt University has five campuses: three in the UK (Edinburgh, Scottish Borders and Orkney), one in Dubai and one in Malaysia. The University offers a highly distinctive range of degree programmes in the specialist areas of science, engineering, design, business and languages.
With a history dating back to 1821, Heriot-Watt University has established a reputation for world-class teaching and practical, leading-edge research, which has made it one of the top UK universities for business and industry. We connect with industry at every level and develop programmes to match their needs – so employers get work-ready industry-fit graduates.
Heriot-Watt is also Scotland's most international university, boasting the largest international student cohort.
We have an established set of values that help us to nurture innovation and leadership, and show our commitment to continuous improvement and development in all our activities.
For full details on our University please view our Careers at Heriot-Watt http://www.hw.ac.uk/about/careers-at-heriot-watt.htm
About our Team
Heriot-Watt University Malaysia (HWUM) is a UK university campus based in Putrajaya, Malaysia. HWUM is the second international campus of Heriot-Watt University ("HWU") which is a leading research-intensive UK university, specialising in science, technology, engineering, business, languages, textiles and design. With an international reputation for scientific and technological excellence, the University is truly global in scope and scale with a campus in Dubai, three campuses in Scotland and over 150 partners world-wide.
HWUM is operating from a stunning, purpose-built, eco-friendly, lakeside campus that currently has more than 2,000 students. Besides the academic offerings that range from Foundation to Undergraduate and Postgraduate programmes in Business, Engineering, Construction, Actuarial Science and more, the university is a pioneer in Impact-Based and Positive Education aiming at developing Purpose-driven, resilient and world-ready graduates.
With highly motivated community, state-of-the-art learning resources and world-class learning and teaching facilities, the Putrajaya campus is a dynamic and stimulating place to study, grow and flourish. Students studying at Heriot-Watt University Malaysia undertake a well-structured developmental programme that takes them in four stages to develop the skills of knowing and leading self, leading teams, leading communities and leading enterprise. This inculcates emotional intelligence, interpersonal and analytical skills sought after by employers. Learning outcomes and standards are identical across all campuses which enables students to seamlessly transfer between campuses.
The Manager, Financial Planning and Analysis is responsible for the University’s financial analysis, financial planning, financial management and special projects.
The position reports to Head of Finance.
Key duties and responsibilities
Forecasting, Budgeting, Financial Planning and Reporting
- Responsible for the preparation of the University's quarterly forecast, annual budget and long term financial business plan.
- Work closely with budget holders to manage and advise on financial planning, forecasting and budgeting.
- Monitor key performance indicators, highlight trends and variances to budget holders to achieve financial goals and operational efficiencies.
- Continuous development and improvement on forecasting, budgeting, financial business planning and modelling tools.
- Develop and prepare financial models and analysis to support business initiatives and opportunities.
- Assist Head of Finance in the formulation of its overall strategic direction.
- Provide reports to external stackholders as and when required.
Financial Analysis, Costing and Pricing
- Responsible for the University’s Financial Performance Review Report.
- Responsible for the financial performance analysis to inform business decisions and prepare presentations to various management teams.
- Conduct financial analysis and present findings and recommendations to Head of Finance.
- Preparation of pricing and costing reports as and when required.
- Implement Analytical Tool, Business Intelligence Tool and Dashboard reports.
- Track and benchmark industry business information and report on key findings to management.
- Engage in benchmarking studies to establish areas of potential operational improvement or informed decision making.
- Lead and/or support ad-hoc project as and when required.
Please note that this job description is not exhaustive, and the role holder may be required to undertake other relevant duties commensurate with the grading of the post and its general responsibilities. Activities may be subject to amendment over time as the role develops and/or priorities and requirements evolve.
Educatio, qualifications and experience
This section details the attributes e.g. skills, knowledge/qualifications and competencies which are required in order to undertake the full remit of the role.
- Education & Qualifications
- Competencies, Skills & Knowledge
- Special Factors (if applicable)
- Degree or a professional certificate or equivalent
- Minimum five (5) years of working experience in similar capacity in which 3 years should be in managerial position
- Strong financial planning, modelling and business analysis experience.
- Detail oriented with strong analytical skills.
- Self-motivated with high degree of commitment to meet deadlines and objectives.
- Well versed with Microsoft Office applications especially proficient in MS Excel.
- Well versed with Business Intelligent and Analytical Tools.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills.
- Able to work independently and meet deadlines.
- Accounting/CPA/ACCA qualification
- Experience working in the education industry.
- Knowledge in Oracle R12.
- Able to communicate with all levels.
Means of Assessment
- Application form and interview.
- Application form, interview and references.
Essential Criteria – these are attributes without which a candidate would not be able to undertake the full remit of the role. Applicants who do not clearly demonstrate in their application that they possess the essential requirements will normally be eliminated at the short listing stage.
Desirable Criteria – these are attributes which would be useful for the candidate to hold. When shortlisting, these criteria will be considered when more than one applicant meets the essential criteria.
How To Apply
Due to Malaysian Immigration restrictions, we regret to inform that this position is only open to citizens or permanent residents of Malaysia.
Applications should be submitted to iRecruit system.
Applications must be submitted by 9 November 2019. We aim to hold interviews at the Malaysia Campus in Putrajaya on the week of 18 November 2019. If you are not contacted by the selection committee by 18 November 2019 then please assume that on this occasion your application has been unsuccessful.
The University is committed to equality of opportunity.
Amount of Travel Minimum Travel