Sports Development Manager
Closing date 24 Oct 2019 23:00 (UK time)
Salary AED 166,136–AED 204,130
Department Heriot-Watt University Dubai
Status Full Time
Duration 36 months fixed-term
About Heriot-Watt University
The Heriot Watt University Dubai Campus offers a wealth of opportunities for students to take part in sport and physical activity to ensure their life on campus is positive interesting and full of new and exciting opportunities alongside their studies.With a critical mass of students on the campus this provides us with a real opportunity to shape a grassroots movement to influence, develop and enrich sport at the university. The current sporting landscape provides students with the opportunity to participate in a variety of sports such as; football, basketball, volleyball, dragon boating, cricket, table tennis and boxing.Vision:To deliver a vibrant, inclusive and positive sporting experience for the students of the Heriot Watt University Dubai Campus.Key Outcomes:As we look to build our commonality throughout the five campuses in line with Strategy 2025, we should focus on sharing the same four values that underpin Heriot Watt’s way of working together to deliver a value led approach to the way we develop sport at the Heriot Watt Dubai Campus.In line with our Values: Belong Provide students with sense of belonging and deliver a diverse and inclusive sports programme to the students to shape a community feel and make them feel welcome Collaborate Work closely with other institutions to deliver competitions, develop our sport offering through the use of their facilities. Inspire participation through the introduction of more sports clubs and a recreational sporting offering Celebrate Celebrating sport on an individual and team basis will allow us to reach the non-engaged
As Sports Development Manager you will lead and direct the HWUD sports programmes and manage and develop partnerships in these areas.You will lead the operation of sports clubs and the community sport hub. You will contribute to the strategic plan for both these areas and manage the operation of these functions. You will ensure that your team/ volunteers/student representatives are motivated and deliver exceptional services. You should be an excellent tactician and have a strong track record of success in your field. You must be an experienced coach who can identify potential in your team and be prepared to commit to and nurture their development.The SDM will need to be flexible and contribute to other areas of operations at HWUD.The SDM will have a key role in the development of the sports department as a whole and in also supporting the work of broader Business Development and industry Engagement initiatives. We require a SDM who can contribute to and implement strategies that ensures the sports services section is prepared to strive for consistently high standards that support this environment.
Key duties and responsibilities
- The SDM is responsible for the operational management of the HWUD sports programme.
- Leadership of colleagues detailed above, planning the operation of our sports programme, planning and directing their work to ensure services are delivered to an exceptional standard.
- Development, implementation and monitoring of services standards including the operation of the sports club.
- Operational planning of these services including the development of procedures,policies and standards including compliance with all H&S, legal and statutory requirements and setting and achieving standards of operation
- Direct line management of the staff in these sections leading and guiding how they manage the daily operation
- Manage and monitor the performance of leads in the student club responsible for individual sports, including the undertaking of performance development reviews and implementing team and individual development plans.
- Implementation of student and community sports strategic plan and monitoring of its key performance indicators.
- Contribute to the sections of the Performance, Sport & Health and the Partnerships and Business Development sections as a whole.
- Support the Student President and Student Council in furthering the objectives of the Council in relation to sports at HWUD
- Support the Business Development Executive with new business areas such as a workforce development programme.
- Manage the budget for the sports for HWUD ensuring the department is operated in line with agreed budgets.
How To Apply
Applications can be submitted up to midnight (UK time) on 24th October 2019.
At Heriot-Watt University we understand that being diverse makes us better which is why we support a culture of respect and equal opportunity, and value diversity at the heart of what we do. We want to increase the diversity of our workplace to underpin a dynamic and creative environment.
Please note that this job description is not exhaustive, and the role holder may be required to undertake other relevant duties commensurate with the grading of the post. Activities may be subject to amendment over time as the role develops and/or priorities and requirements evolve.
The appointment is conditional upon successful completion of all Labour and Immigration formalities, and the start date will need to be delayed if the employment visa is not in place.