Assistant Professor in Linguistics
The Department of English Language and Literature at the National University of Singapore invites applications for a Lecturer appointment on the Educator Track Scheme. Applicants will be assessed foremost on their suitability for the Educator Track. Linguists of all research specializations are encouraged to apply, although departmental teaching needs (in the areas of phonetics, phonology, functional linguistics, discourse analysis, and pragmatics) may be used to distinguish between equally qualified candidates.
The purpose of the Educator Track Scheme is to attract, nurture, and retain suitably qualified and highly effective faculty members who approach teaching as a scholarly practice, and who therefore focus on and are passionate about excellence in teaching as a means of supporting student learning. The initial appointment will be made on a 2- to 3-year contract, and there is a career progression path for promotion (Lecturer > Senior Lecturer > Associate Professor (Educator Track) > Professor).
Applicants should have a PhD in Linguistics and a strong commitment to teaching at the undergraduate and graduate levels. The teaching load on the Educator Track is equivalent to a ‘3:3’ workload, and the successful candidate will be expected to teach large foundational courses and take on supervisions. There will also be opportunities to teach advanced courses that reflect a candidate’s specific interests. Women and members of underrepresented minority groups are particularly encouraged to apply.
Applications should be submitted at https://academicjobsonline.org/ajo/jobs/14998 and include:
- A brief cover letter highlighting the applicant’s major accomplishments in teaching and research, and courses that the applicant would be interested in teaching;
- A complete curriculum vitae;
- A teaching portfolio (3-5 pages, excluding appendices) providing evidence that the applicant has a strong potential to contribute to student learning. Non-exhaustive examples of such evidence include the applicant’s reflection on his/her educational approach/teaching philosophy (required), information on courses taught and sample course materials (required), and student feedback (required).
- A completed Personal Particulars Form (http://www.nus.edu.sg/careers/potentialhires/applicationprocess/personal-particulars-form-academicstaff.doc).
- A completed Personal Data Consent Form (http://www.nus.edu.sg/careers/files/NUS-Personal-Data-Consent-for-Job-Applicants.pdf).
Applicants should also arrange for three letters of recommendation (NOT including one from the applicant’s main PhD supervisor) to be submitted via the online application system. For full consideration, please submit a completed application, including letters of recommendation, by December 2, 2019. Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.
Enquiries may be directed to email@example.com. Further information about working at the National University of Singapore is available at http://www.nus.edu.sg/careers/whyjoinus.htm. The department website can be found at http://www.fas.nus.edu.sg/ell/.