Senior Lecturer, Statistics and Data Science
The Senior Lecturer undertakes research and teaching within the Statistics/Data Science discipline. The Senior Lecturer is responsible for teaching data science at undergraduate and postgraduate levels across all delivery modes, as well as contributing to curriculum development and coordination of the data science programs. In addition to this, the incumbent provides administrative, marketing and outreach support for the Physical Sciences academic group and the university.
The Senior Lecturer demonstrates the ambition to build a research portfolio in any area of Data Science that complements the College of Science and Engineering’s strategic commitment to digital innovation through undergraduate and postgraduate programs in Data Science, IoT and IT. A capacity to engage effectively with local, national and international industry and to identify and develop opportunities for innovation-driven partnerships is also inherent to the position.
James Cook University
Division of Tropical Environments and Societies
The Office of the Division of Tropical Environments and Societies provides collaborative leadership with the Colleges and ensures that the Colleges are able to deliver the core business of learning and teaching, research and engagement and contribute effectively to the strategic agenda.
The Division office drives the strategic objectives of the Division and services a proportion of College administrative operations.
The Colleges of the Division include:
- Business, Law and Governance
- Arts, Society and Education
- Science and Engineering
- Undertake teaching, subject and program coordination in Statistics/Data Science at undergraduate and postgraduate levels, including teaching to service disciplines, across all delivery modes.
- Conduct research in any field of Data Science as an individual and in collaboration with other researchers and students.
- Provide supervision to undergraduate, postgraduate and higher degree by research (HDR) students in Statistics/Data Science.
- Contribute to the management of university business through active participation on committees at Academic Group and College Levels as directed.
- Enhance the visibility and reputation of JCU through active participation in public outreachactivities as an individual and through participation in JCU events.
- Support the University's commitment to the principles of reconciliation, which exemplify respect for Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander heritage and the valuing of justice and equity for all Australians.
- Demonstrate a commitment to the University values.
- Support the principles of the TropEco program and engage in commitment to JCU sustainability goals and objectives.
There are generic responsibilities that apply to all James Cook University staff.
- The Lecturer/Senior Lecturer is required to observe the lawful and reasonable directions, policies and decisions of the University Council, understand and comply with the Enterprise Agreement, the Statutes and Rules of the University, the policies and decisions of the University Council and other appropriate University authorities, as in force from time to time.
- The Lecturer/Senior Lecturer is required to demonstrate a personal commitment to ensure personal safety and the safety of others and contribute to the continuous improvement of our WHS performance. This includes the effective implementation and compliance with James Cook University WHS policies, procedures and safe systems of work, together with all relevant legislation, duties and obligations. Contribute to the continuous improvement of our WHS performance.
- The Lecturer/Senior Lecturer is required to exercise proper discretion in all matters affecting the well-being of the University which involve public writing or speaking in accordance with the University’s Code of Conduct.
Selection and appointments will be assessed against the selection criteria.
- Doctoral (PhD) qualification or equivalent in Statistics, Data Science or a related discipline with significant postdoctoral research or industry experience.
- Demonstrated capacity to teach statistics and data science to undergraduate and postgraduate coursework students.
- Evidence of an established research track-record, including interdisciplinary collaboration and effective supervision of postgraduate/higher degree by research (HDR) students.
- Demonstrated success or capacity to attract competitive research funding.
- Capacity to establish an independent research program which involves collaborations across disciplinary, institutional boundaries and/or industry.
- Highly developed communication and interpersonal skills, evidenced through experience with working effectively in teams, engagement with industry, community agencies and professional bodies.
- Demonstrated ability to contribute to outreach and marketing activities in support of a university, government department, research organization or other institutions.
- Demonstrated ongoing Involvement in industry and/or professional activities.
- Experience in the development and coordination of online education programs.