Lecturer in Egyptology
- Salary Package: From $103,914 to $122,947 p.a. plus 17% employer's superannuation and annual leave loading (Level B)
- Appointment Type: Full time, continuing
- Location: Macquarie University, North Ryde
- Commencement Date: February 2020
The Department of Ancient History in the Faculty of Arts is seeking a Lecturer with a strong research and teaching record in the area of Egyptology. The appointee will be expected to develop, teach and convene units in ancient Egyptian language in the hieroglyphic script at all levels (from beginners to advanced) and in Egyptology at all levels and will be required to contribute to other interdisciplinary undergraduate and/or postgraduate units offered in the Department. You will actively seek funding for, and contribute to, the research activities of the Department of Ancient History (including interdisciplinary research as appropriate) and make an active contribution to the administration of the Department, Faculty and University.
You will be a highly motivated academic with a PhD in a relevant field of Egyptology and a strong research track record. You will have experience teaching and convening units in ancient Egyptian language and Egyptology and using technologies associated with blended learning to ensure students are successfully learning at a tertiary level. You will be able to supervise higher degree research students, and to collaboratively contribute to the ongoing success of the Department of Ancient History and the Faculty of Arts at Macquarie University.
The Department of Ancient History offers undergraduate and postgraduate courses that study the cultures of Ancient Greece, Rome, Egypt, Ancient Israel and the Near East as well as the study of ancient languages (Ancient Greek, Coptic, Hebrew, Hieroglyphic Egyptian and Latin). Students benefit from hands-on experience on excavations in places such as Croatia, Israel, Italy, Egypt and Greece, where they combine learning the skills of ancient history and archaeology. Our academics are equipped with extensive knowledge and undertake research into the languages, histories, cultures and literature of the major societies that led the world for centuries.
The Department is located within Macquarie's Faculty of Arts who are united in the spirit of interdisciplinary discovery. Our research is gaining global recognition and with the development of new premises – the Arts Precinct (project completion in 2020) – that will house the Department and the Faculty of Arts Museum (with a substantial ancient Egyptian collection), as well as the University Research Centre for Ancient Cultural Heritage and Environments (CACHE), and state-of-the-art media facilities, we empower our staff to transform themselves and the world around them.
Macquarie is a university engaged with the real and often complex problems and opportunities that define our lives. Since our foundation 54 years ago, we have aspired to be a different type of university. Over the years, we’ve grown to become the centre of a vibrant local and global community. Connect with us today.
To be considered for this position, please submit your application online, including a covering letter addressing the selection criteria for the position (not more than 2 pages) and your resume.
- PhD in a relevant field;
- Demonstrated experience in quality research/scholarship, which may be evidenced by an internationally competitive publication record and success in attracting research support;
- Demonstrated ability to conduct lectures, tutorials, assessment and exam marking in the relevant discipline area and evidence of teaching quality at undergraduate and postgraduate levels;
- A record of contributing, or capacity to contribute, to administration in a University or professional setting and to interact within these settings;
- A record of enhancing, or capacity to enhance, the University's reputation through engagement with relevant external stakeholders;
- Good interpersonal and communication skills and the ability to work as part of a team.
- Demonstrated experience in quality research/scholarship in Egyptology and ancient Egyptian language
Specific Role Enquiries: Professor Ray Laurence, Head of Department of Ancient History on email@example.com
General Enquiries: Sally Langford, HR Manager on firstname.lastname@example.org
Applications Close: Sunday 3 November 2019 at 11:55 pm (Eastern Standard Time, EST)
Location: Macquarie University, North Ryde
Applications need to be submitted through the Macquarie University online recruitment system. Where circumstances such as disability or remote location prohibit your access to our online system please contact the enquiries person listed in this advertisement for assistance.
This position requires qualifications checking.
Macquarie University is committed to Equity, Diversity and Inclusion. We value individual difference and recognise the strength of a vibrant, diverse and inclusive workforce where the backgrounds, perspectives and experiences of our staff are a driving force for collaboration, innovation and impact.
We work to ensure genuine equality of opportunity for people regardless of their gender, age, cultural background, sexual orientation, gender identity, disability and/or family status, and we encourage you to apply for a position at Macquarie University.