Research Associate, Obesity Research Group
UNSW Medicine is a national leader in learning, teaching and research, with close affiliations to a number of Australia’s finest hospitals, research institutes and health care organisations. The School of Medical Sciences (SoMS) is the largest School within UNSW Medicine, and one of the largest at UNSW and houses state of the art research infrastructure.
About the role:
- 3-Year, Fixed-term opportunity
- Academic Level A: $76, 570 - $102, 092 (+ 17% Superannuation & Leave loading)
- Sydney, Australia based
SoMS is seeking a scientist to plan and conduct experiments related to our NHMRC funded research into obesity and the gut-brain axis. Our research is aimed at understanding the mechanisms underlying the response to poor diet and the impact of maternal obesity on the next generation. The position will involve completing research tasks related to these studies, supervising research assistants and students, and overseeing collection, interpretation and preparation of data. The person will take leadership in the management of research projects, including managing data integrity, analysis (including statistics) and reporting of results, and preparation of manuscripts, abstracts, posters and grant/fellowship applications.
About the successful applicant
To be successful in this role you will have:
- A PhD in Neuroscience, Physiology, Psychology or related field, and/ or an equivalent level of knowledge gained through any other combination of education, training and/or and experience
- Demonstrated knowledge of and displayed interest in obesity related research, the use of animal models, and histological and molecular biology techniques
- Ability to work well independently under minimal supervision, and as part of a multidisciplinary team
- Track record in writing scientific manuscripts as well as a proven research and publication record in academic journals in relevant area, including the ability/potential to attract external research funding
You should systematically address the full selection criteria from the position description in your application.
Please apply online - applications will not be accepted if sent to the contact listed.
Contact: Professor Margaret Morris (Head - Environmental Determinants of Obesity Group)
Applications close: 11 pm, Monday 28th October 2019
Find out more about working at UNSW at https://med.unsw.edu.au/
UNSW is an equal opportunity employer committed to diversity