Tree Specialist I
Pay Range: A20
Exemption Classification: Non-exempt\
Under the direction of a lead or supervisor or the oversight of a Tree Specialist II, these employees perform a variety of duties related to maintenance and care of trees; some duties are performed in a training capacity. The Tree Specialist receives detailed instructions for each job, is directed to do work during progress, and is trained in the skills, knowledge and safety procedures required for higher-level work.
- The duties listed under this section are designed to provide a representative sampling of key tasks and/or responsibilities associated with the job. They are not intended to be a complete list of all the duties performed by employees in the classification.
- Remove parts of trees, or assist in the removal of whole trees.
- Prune and perform other operations as directed to maintain good physical appearance and healthy conditions of trees for continued growth.
- May spray or power wash trees. Under direction, set up and use high-work safety equipment, such as rope and saddle apparatus.
- Follow safety procedures as specified for all equipment.
- Adhere to safety rules.
Minimum Education and Experience Required
High School diploma or GED and one years’ experience in the Arboriculture trade, grounds work, grounds keeping, tree equipment operation, and/or related work, or a combination of education and relevant experience.
- Practical knowledge of growth requirements of plants and trees in general and/or practical knowledge of grounds equipment.
- Basic tree identification knowledge.
- Demonstrated strong communication skills (both verbal and written). Ability to understand and follow job-related instructions given in English, either verbally or in writing.
- Basic computer systems knowledge for work order and time entry.
- Ability to use a variety of hand and power tools and equipment, as directed: including but not limited to: power chain saws, stump grinders, chippers, pruners, tractors, farm implements, boom lift trucks.
Certificates and Licenses Required
- Valid California Non-commercial Class C Driver's license.
- Ability to obtain and maintain a California Non-commercial Class C Driver’s License.
- Ability to climb and work as high as 120 feet.
- Constantly stand/walk, climb (ladders, scaffolds, or other), twist/bend/stoop/squat, reach/work above shoulders, lift/carry/push/pull objects that weigh up to 20 lbs.
- Frequently use a telephone, perform work which requires light/fine/forceful grasping, operate hand/or foot controls, lift/carry/push/pull objects that weigh 20- 40lbs unassisted and up to 100 pounds with assistance.
- Occasionally perform seated work, desk based computer tasks, write by hand, kneel/crawl, shovel/rake/sweep/chop, and lift/carry/push/pull objects that weigh greater than 40lbs unassisted and up to 100 pounds with assistance.
- Rarely sort/file paperwork or parts.
- Required to wear appropriate issued uniform.
- May be required to work overtime, evenings and weekends, including holidays, sometimes in inclement weather conditions.
- Required to wear appropriate Personal Protective Equipment (PPE).
- May be exposed to poison oak, pollen, dust and/or other allergens, and/or insects including ticks.
- When conducting university business, must comply with the California Vehicle Code and Stanford University driving requirements.
- Interpersonal Skills: Demonstrates the ability to work well with Stanford colleagues and clients and with external organizations.
- Promote Culture of Safety: Demonstrates commitment to personal responsibility and value for safety; communicates safety concerns; uses and promotes safe behaviors based on training and lessons learned.
Subject to and expected to comply with all applicable University policies and procedures, including but not limited to the personnel policies and other policies found in the University’s Administrative Guide, https://adminguide.stanford.edu/ and the appropriate collective bargaining agreement at https://cardinalatwork.stanford.edu/hr- processes-policies/labor-relations- collective-bargaining
- Schedule: Full-time
- Employee Status: Regular
- Grade: A20