Animal Care Driver
The Veterinary Service Center (VSC) at Stanford University provides Laboratory Animal Care and operates within the Department of Comparative Medicine. We are fully accredited by the Association for Accreditation and Assessment of Laboratory Animal Care (AAALAC). Our vision is to pioneer in laboratory animal care, driving research innovations from bench to bedside.
The Veterinary Service Center within the Department of Comparative Medicine is seeking a Full-Time, Animal Care Driver. The Animal Care Driver works under the direction of the Supervisor but with limited supervision during the day. Priorities are set daily by the Supervisor, but the Driver is expected to follow establish standards and procedures when completing deliveries and pick-ups, and escalate serious issues to the Supervisor for resolution. The Animal Care Driver must be able to work under tight delivery time lines and quickly identify issues that must be promptly resolved (i.e. insufficient supplies, animal welfare issues, conflicting priorities in delivery schedule). The Driver makes decisions based upon priorities set by the Supervisor(s), and in accordance with established procedures, industry regulations, and safe lifting practices. The Deliverer frequently interacts with Supervisors, animal care technicians and administrative staff. The smooth functioning of the VSC operation and Stanford University’s research endeavor depends on a regular delivery and pick up cycle of all animals, supplies and consumables.
- High-school diploma or equivalent required
- 1 year of applicable experience in a research, academic, or animal laboratory setting
- Valid California Non-commercial Driver's License
- Ability to read diverse handwriting and to learn campus locations
- Must be able to read, write, understand, and effectively communicate in English. Must also be able to follow written and oral instructions provided in English.
- Ability to establish productive relationships within a diverse research community that reflects a strong “client service” commitment
- Ability to accomplish tasks in a rapidly changing, fast-paced environment.
- Experience using computer terminals and mobile devices
- Ability to work independently and demonstrate personal accountability. Must also possess the ability to work well on a team.
- Ability to use a handtruck, pallet-jack, forklift and related machines
- Ability to package materials according to established procedures
- Must be able to work in an environment where there is high exposure to dust and/or other allergens, as well as hazardous waste.
- Must be capable of properly handling and restraining all species of common laboratory animals, and have no abnormal fear of any common laboratory species
- Must be willing and able to lift a minimum of 50 pounds
- Must promote a Culture of Safety: demonstrates commitment to personal responsibility and value for safety; communicates safety concerns; uses and promotes safe behaviors based on training and lessons learned.
- Knowledge of Stanford University’s policies and procedures as well as familiarity with NIH and U.S.D.A guidelines is preferred.
ABOUT STANFORD UNIVERSITY:
Stanford University, located between San Francisco and San Jose in the heart of California's Silicon Valley, is one of the world's leading teaching and research universities. Since its opening in 1891, Stanford has been dedicated to finding solutions to big challenges and to preparing students for leadership in a complex world.
Supporting that mission is a staff of more than 10,000, which is rooted in a culture of excellence and values innovation, collaboration, and life-long learning. To foster the talents and aspirations of our staff, Stanford offers career development programs, competitive pay that reflects market trends and benefits that increase financial stability and promote healthy, fulfilling lives. An award- winning employer, Stanford offers an exceptional setting for professionals looking to advance their career.
Stanford University is an equal employment opportunity and affirmative action employer and is committed to recruiting and hiring qualified women, minorities, protected veterans and individuals with disabilities.
- Schedule: Full-time
- Employee Status: Regular
- Grade: K