Research Fellow/Research Associate, Department of Architecture, Special Scientist
UNIVERSITY OF CYPRUS
DEPARTMENT OF ARCHITECTURE
CALL FOR APPLICATIONS FOR A POSITION OF RESEARCH FELLOW/RESEARCH ASSOCIATE (SPECIAL SCIENTIST)
Number of Vacancies: Up to two (2)
Category: 6-12 month contract with possibility of renewal
Workplace: University of Cyprus, Department of Architecture
The Department of Architecture of the University of Cyprus (MESARCH Lab - http://mesarch.ucy.ac.cy/) accepts applications for up to two (2) positions for Special Scientists in the context of externally funded research projects. The successful candidates will contribute to the study of the architectural history of tourism in Cyprus and its ties with processes of national modernization, economic development, environmental transformations, and other socio-spatial processes of the second half of the 20th Century, with particular focus on the period 1960-74.
Scope of Work:
- Research in public and private archives, libraries and databases
- In situ documentation and study of implemented architectural/urban design projects
- Critical analysis of selected case studies based on the historical theoretical underinnings of the project.
- Project management duties
- Preparation of reports on research progress and findings
- Preparation of research papers and funding proposals
- Participation in international conferences
- Cooperation with researchers of the Mesarch Lab of the Architecture Department.
- Applicants must hold a Doctoral title or be in an advanced stage of their doctoral reseach in the History and Theory of Architecture or a related field.
- Excellent command of the English language. Knowledge of the Greek language will be considered as an advantage
- Previous experience in research projects in the field of the Theory and History of Architecture will be considered as an additional qualification.
The candidate need not be a citizen of the Republic of Cyprus.
Terms of employment:
The successful candidate(s) will be offered a 6-12-month contract with possibility of renewal. Monthly full-time employment cost will range between 1200-2000 Euros (depending on qualifications and experience); and part-time employment cost will range between 600-1000 Euro. Employer and employee contributions will be deducted from this amount. The programme does not provide for 13th salary/bonus.
All interested applicants must submit the following:
- Full Curriculum Vitae
- Work samples (portfolio) with emphasis on research projects and studies on topics related to this research programme
- Text (approximately 1000 words) with clear mention of: a) research experience of the candidate in topics/projects related to this research programme (stating the relevant qualifications and duties), b) reasons for which the candidate is interested in participating in this particular programme, c) how the candidate’s involvement in this research programme is combined with other parallel obligations or commitments, d) date on which the candidate can take up duties.
- Copies of diplomas/degrees and transcripts
- Names and contact details (mail, phone) of two persons from higher educational institutions from which recommendations may be requested.
Successful candidates will be requested to provide certified copies of academic degrees.
Interested parties are invited to send the required documents in digital form and in a single PDF file to Panayiota Pyla, Associate Professor of the Department of Architecture, to email@example.com, with subject title “Research Fellow/Research Associate Vacancy, Department of Architecture”, notifying the department’s secretariat in the CC section to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Deadline for the submission of applications is on 30 September 2019, 24:00.
Only successful candidates, who will be asked to assume duties, will be notified. Εmployment is expected to begin as soon as possible.
For further inquiries please contact Associate Professor Panayiota Pyla (email: email@example.com).