Lecturer/Associate Professor in First-Year English Composition & Public Speaking
Faculty Positions at the HNU-ASU Joint International Tourism College, Hainan University (HAITC, 海南大学亚利桑那州立大学联合国际旅游学院)
Applications are invited for 4 positions in the HNU-ASU Joint International Tourism College at Hainan University.
Hainan University (HNU) is a comprehensive provincial university in Haikou, Hainan. It is one of the “211 Project” key universities in China. HAITC is an innovative joint college, a Sino-foreign cooperative tourism institution approved by the Ministry of Education of China. HAITC currently offers three dual-degree programs: Tourism Development and Management, Parks and Recreation Management, and Public Administration. All three programs started in fall 2017, with over 520 undergraduate students currently registering. Courses are taught by both HNU and ASU faculty members.
Our partner, the Watts College of Public Service and Community Solutions at Arizona State University, is a vibrant community of active scholars committed to excellence in education and innovative responses to collective problems. The Watts College consists of four schools that include the School of Community Resources and Development (SCRD) and the School of Public Affairs (SPA). SPA is ranked #13 in the U.S., according to U.S. News and World Report, and #5 in research, according to the Shanghai Academic Ranking of World Universities. Based on 2018 CWUR academic rankings of global universities, ASU is ranked # 7 in the world (#2 in the U.S.) in subjects of hospitality, leisure, sports, and tourism.
The successful candidates will be expected to deliver excellent in-class instruction at the undergraduate level, and participate in service activities for the college, profession and community. Courses are taught in English. Contributing to graduate education is anticipated in the future. The appointment will begin in spring 2019 or until positions are fulfilled. These will be fixed term positions that can be renewed. All these faculty positions are stable and renewable depending on teaching performance.
1. Lecture/Associate Professor in First-Year English Composition&Public Speaking
- Doctoral Degree in Rhetoric and Composition, Communication or related field, at time of appointment.
- Evidence of teaching effectiveness.
- Ability to work with culturally-diverse populations.
- 30-55 years of age.
- Terminal Degree in English Linguistics or related field.
- TESL/TEFL/TESOL certificate.
- Two pieces of evidence of teaching effectiveness: student evaluations preferred; other evidence could include teaching portfolios (including syllabi, assignments and feedback from students), letters from supervisor or peer evaluations, or student portfolios.
- Evidence in professional development activities.
To apply, please send the following application materials to firstname.lastname@example.org:
- A letter of application in which you describe your fit to the position relative to the qualifications listed, and state the position you are applying for (i.e. Lecturer or Associate Professor).
- A complete curriculum vitae.
- Evidence of effective teaching and a one page (maximum) statement of teaching.
- The names and contact information of three references.
- Other materials may be requested of those selected for interviews.
Please feel free to contact Search Committee Chair Lin Wang (email@example.com) with questions. For more information about HAITC and ASU, please visit us at the following websites: www.haitc.edu.cn; www.asu.edu.cn.
Informal inquiries may be addressed to Robyn XU, Director of Foreign Languages Education Center at HNU-ASU Joint International Tourism College (Email: Robyn_xu@163.com).