Associate Lecturer/Lecturer in Interaction Design
- Join the Design Lab, an interdisciplinary research group working with diverse, innovative and emerging technologies.
- Help shape the next generation of interaction, technology and user experience designers through contributing to our teaching and research programs
- Full-time (though part-time may be negotiable), continuing, remuneration: $92,682 to $123,682 p.a. plus leave loading and 17% superannuation
About the opportunity
The School is focused on the built environment and uses the methods of architecture, design, planning, science, art, engineering, computing, and social sciences to analyse, understand and design innovative environments. We have one of Australia’s best university laboratory infrastructures for research and design in the built environment, including our Lighting Lab, Spatial Audio and Acoustics Lab, and the Indoor Environmental Quality Lab. We have a major and ongoing investment in the Design Modelling and Fabrication Lab, including architectural robotics. The Design Lab, where these positions are hosted, explores the interactions between digital technologies and people, both within the built environment and beyond.
The Design Lab explores the role of design for envisioning, defining, informing and innovating on the role of technology in society. As design researchers we study how the world can be changed, applying human-centred methods to imagine possible futures with a range of economic, social, cultural and environmental benefits. Our specialities include computational creativity, design innovation, designing for health and well-being, digital place-making, and urban data science.
The Design Lab is seeking applicants to join our academic team:
Associate Lecturer or Lecturer in Interaction Design, with a track record in one or more relevant areas, including: interaction design, user experience, human-computer interaction, information design, intelligent user interface design, visual communication, or other forms of human-centred computing.
At the Design Lab you will:
- Develop an original, innovative and high-impact research program,
- Advise higher-degree research students,
- Design and deliver units of study at both the undergraduate and postgraduate levels, including in the Bachelor of Design Computing, the Master of Interaction Design and Electronic Arts, and the university-wide Major in Design (relevant units of study include: Interaction Design Studio, Visual Communication, Principles of Animation, Interactive Product, Design Studio, Web Design and Technologies, Interface Design, IDEA Studio and Graduation Studio,Engage with industry, your discipline and the broader community, and
- Work with staff and students from a wide range of cultural, social and professional backgrounds.
The University values courage and creativity; openness and engagement; inclusion and diversity; and respect and integrity. As such, we see the importance in recruiting talent aligned to these values in the pursuit of research and teaching excellence.
If applying as an Associate Lecturer (Level A), you will have recently completed or will soon complete a PhD. If applying as a Lecturer (Level B), you will have begun developing an independent and original scholarly career since completing your PhD.
Additional qualities that would be a positive at both levels include:
- Experience in designing and delivering project-based units of study in a university context
- A track record of applying for competitive research funding schemes
- Skills in both qualitative and quantitative research methods
- Prior engagements with industry and other external organisations in your research and/or teaching
- Experience in the design and/or technology industries
From the appointment of its first Chair in 1918, the University of Sydney School of Architecture, Design and Planning has been an internationally acknowledged centre for intellectual, scientific and aesthetic research in architecture and the built environment, attracting the highest quality applicants in Australia. Founded in 1968 as the Computer Applications Research Unit, the Design Lab has for decades been an international research leader in how computers can be used to design and create. In the 2019 QS World University Rankings by Subject, the School was first in Australia, and ranked 15th in the world for Architecture/Built Environment.
Since our inception 160 years ago, the University of Sydney has led to improve the world around us. We believe in education for all and that effective leadership makes lives better. These same values are reflected in our approach to diversity and inclusion, and underpin our long-term strategy for growth. We’re Australia's first university and have an outstanding global reputation for academic and research excellence. Across 9 campuses, we employ over 7600 academic and non-academic staff who support over 47,000 students.
We are undergoing significant transformative change, which brings opportunity for innovation, progressive thinking, breaking with convention, challenging the status quo, and improving the world around us.
How to apply
For more information on the position and University, please view the candidate information pack available from the job’s listing on the University of Sydney careers website.
All applications must be submitted via the University of Sydney careers website. Visit sydney.edu.au/recruitment and search by the reference number 970/0519C to apply.
Closing date: 11:30pm (Sydney time), Tuesday 18 June 2019
The University of Sydney is committed to diversity and social inclusion. Applications from people of culturally and linguistically diverse backgrounds; equity target groups including women, people with disabilities, people who identify as LGBTIQ; and people of Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander descent, are encouraged.
© The University of Sydney
The University reserves the right not to proceed with any appointment.