Senior Director, Petroleum Institute
1 day left
- Full Time
Organization Name Khalifa University of Science and Technology
Khalifa University of Science and Technology aspires to be a world-class, research-intensive institution, seamlessly integrating research and education to produce world leaders and critical thinkers in applied science and engineering. Khalifa University endeavors to be a leader among research intensive universities of the 21st century, while catalyzing the growth of Abu Dhabi and the UAE's rapidly developing knowledge economy. It operates on three campuses with two of them (Masdar City Campus and Sas al Nakhl Campus) hosting its flagship research institutes, Masdar Institute and Petroleum Institute.
Reporting to the Senior Vice President for Research and Development, the Senior Director of the Petroleum Institute is responsible for providing operational and strategic direction to the basic and applied research within a thematically oriented research institute at Khalifa University of Science and Technology. The Senior Director will promote research excellence through the Institute’s generation of human capital, knowledge and technologies that are beneficial to the University and the country. The Senior Director will be a key member of the University’s Research Council and a full Professor splitting his/her time between research and teaching.
- Drive the formulation of the Institute's strategy, as well as annual business plans.
- Develop the Institute’s policies and procedures, adhering to the overall business objectives of the University, ensuring they promote leading practices and excellence.
- Develop and manage the Institute’s budgets; monitor the performance of budgets and report back on a timely basis to ensure that divergences are addressed promptly.
- Provide leadership to the Institute, embracing the range of disciplines represented, by providing a coherent vision for research and postgraduate training.
- Articulate a clear vision for the future and mobilize strategic plans that will ensure the ongoing growth and vitality of the Institute’s research thematic area or areas.
- Implement strategies for achieving the University targets for research performance.
- Develop and grow new research centers and groups within the Institute that will support the University’s research strategy.
- Work closely with the Deans, Associate Deans and Department Chairs in identifying and recruiting world-class faculty and students that will support the research strategy of the Institute.
- Provide annual faculty research performance reviews to the relevant Department Chairs for all faculty with primary affiliation to the Institute.
- Develop and submit an annual budget for the physical infrastructure required to support a world-class research initiative and in support of the Institute’s strategic plan.
- Work closely with the University offices in charge of industry engagement and partnerships to engage faculty in responding to industry and government partnership opportunities.
- Actively develop the Institute’s international academic profile and enhance its international recruitment and partnership development.
- Support and promote knowledge transfer between the University and non-academic users of research through appropriate mechanisms.
- Ensure that the Institute and its members comply with the University policies on research quality and conduct and the requirements of all relevant regulatory bodies.
- Forge and maintain external relations essential to the Institute's business, promote the University to external bodies and organizations and enhance its reputation, profile and influence.
- Serve on Khalifa University of Science and Technology’s Research Council to help set the strategic directions of the University’s research initiatives and programs.
- Represent the University effectively in matters related to public relations, including, but not limited to, serving as spokesperson and advocate of the Institute.
- Spearhead fundraising activities by developing research programs and centers that will attract private sector interest and establish partnerships with government agencies and other public service organizations.
- Teach a maximum of one course.
- Ensure adherence to the University's information security policies and procedures, and report breaches or other security risks accordingly.
- Ensure coordination with other departments to facilitate the accomplishment of tasks and responsibilities, as and when needed.
- Perform any other tasks assigned by Line Manager.
- Provide coaching, guidance and mentoring as required to enhance the internal capabilities of the team and ensure the achievement of established objectives and plans.
- Recommend appropriate training courses as per the pre-determined training needs, evaluate their effectiveness, and monitor their results.
- Carry out performance appraisals for subordinates according to planned schedules and recommend necessary actions as per the applied practices.
- Conduct periodic meetings with subordinates to ensure that priorities are clear and workflow is running smoothly.
- Follow-up on employees' administrative affairs such as vacations, leaves and other administrative and related affairs.
- a PhD in an appropriate STEM (Science, Technology, Engineering or Mathematics) discipline. Preference will be given to candidates with education from pre-eminent institutions of higher education.
- a minimum of 14 years of education related experience, including 5 years of leadership in an academic and research environment as demonstrated by having reached the academic rank of full Professor.
- significant experience and proven track record in teaching, with demonstrable commitment to academic excellence.
- demonstrable experience in leading high-quality research, as demonstrated by a track record of success in securing competitive research grant income and publishing in the leading relevant academic journals.
- proven experience and success in supervising doctoral students.
- collegiate mindset and proven ability to work collaboratively with faculty members and engineering professionals (or other relevant external partners).
- excellent interpersonal and communication skills.
How To Apply
An executive search exercise is being undertaken by Perrett Laver, whose representatives will assist the selection panel in the discharge of its duties, both to assist in the assessment of candidates against the requirements of the role and also to identify the widest possible field of candidates. Applications should consist of a covering letter addressing suitability against the person specification and a full curriculum vitae with a complete list of publications.
Perrett Laver may be contacted for a confidential discussion of the role by contacting email@example.com
Direct applications should be uploaded at https://candidates.perrettlaver.com/vacancies/
Apply for Senior Director, Petroleum Institute
Already uploaded your resume? Sign in to apply instantly