Big Data Architect
Job Code: 4735
THIS IS A 100% FTE FIXED-TERM POSITION. THE TERM CONCLUDES TWO YEARS FROM THE START DATE, AND MAY BE EXTENDED BASED ON PROGRAM NEED AND FUNDING AVAILABILITY.
FOR CONSIDERATION PLEASE PROVIDE RESUME AND A COVER LETTER. BACKGROUND CHECK REQUIRED FOR ALL FINAL CANDIDATES.
Note: Not all unique aspects of the job are covered by this job description
The Internet Observatory is a bold, new cross-disciplinary program that aims to advance the state of teaching, research, and public policy on the abuse of the internet to cause harm in today’s complex digital world. Based at the Freeman Spogli Institute and led by cybersecurity expert Alex Stamos, the Internet Observatory will formally launch in June 2019 with an innovative curriculum, a new research study on the 2020 elections, and engagement with government, industry and the media to impact public policy.
Reporting to Program Director Stamos, the Big Data Architect will lead a research team that includes research staff and graduate students in computer science to design, develop and implement a major cross-school project to build Stanford’s new Internet Observatory, a Big Data repository and real-time analytics engine that will power new forms of social and political science research. Candidate will create specifications, identify data analytics tools, develop a cloud-hosted data strategy, and define requirements for open-source and commercial software tools to build a system for both real-time processing and long-term archival, storage and retrieval. The candidate will also oversee all integration and testing of the final system and will be responsible for the ongoing operation and maintenance of the Internet Observatory. In addition, the candidate will evaluate existing big data repository, compute, and metadata efforts underway at Stanford for possible re-use and/or collaboration.
Engineer complex Big Data architecture and analytical solutions. Design and develop applications, test and build automation tools.
- Lead and perform the design, development, implementation and maintenance of complex Big Data systems and data-intensive solutions that are scalable, optimized, and fault-tolerant.
- Define and develop guidelines, standards, and processes to ensure data quality and integrity.
- Elicit, review, and validate data system requirements, including data integration, Meta data, and modeling. Design the data architecture and data integration layers.
- Ensure effective integration and security of applications, data, and components to deliver a high quality system capable of supporting real-time data production and complex, data-intensive scientific user analysis.
- Use software development best practices to develop prototypes, proof of concepts for the selected solutions, and ensure effective application and integration.
- May oversee the work of others.
* - Other duties may also be assigned
Education & Experience:
Bachelor’s degree in scientific or analytic field and eight years of relevant experience or a combination of education and relevant experience. Advanced degree may be required.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
- Experience using and designing key data structures, algorithms and techniques pertinent to systems that support high volume, velocity, or variety datasets including (data mining, machine learning, NLP, data retrieval)
- Advanced level knowledge of relational, NoSQL, or NewSQL database systems, and data modeling, structured and unstructured.
- Advanced level knowledge of parallel and distributed data processing techniques and platforms (MPI, Map/Reduce, Batch) and systems.
- Advanced level knowledge in scripting languages, expertise with high performance/systems languages and techniques.
- Experience in benchmark software development and programmable fields/systems, ability to analyze systems and data pipelines and propose solutions that leverage emerging technologies.
- Expertise architecting and deploying reliable data systems and data quality management systems.
- Ability to use and integrate security controls for web applications, mobile platforms, and backend systems.
- Extensive experience in the evaluation, design, and deployment of new tools, frameworks, and patterns to build scalable Big Data platforms.
- Ability to document use cases, solutions and recommendations;
- Demonstrated excellence in written and verbal communication skills
- Project management skills and ability to understand and apply systems for storing and analyzing datasets.
- Ability to mentor, motivate and provide guidance to staff on definitive tasks.
Certifications and Licenses:
- Frequently sit, grasp lightly, use fine manipulation and perform desk-based computer tasks, lift, carry, push pull objects that weigh to ten pounds.
- Occasionally sit, use a telephone or write by hand.
- Rarely kneel, crawl, climb, twist, bend, stoop, squat, reach or work above shoulders, sort, file paperwork or parts, operate foot and hand controls.
* - Consistent with its obligations under the law, the University will provide reasonable accommodation to any employee with a disability who requires accommodation to perform the essential functions of the job.
- Interpersonal Skills: Demonstrates the ability to work well with Stanford colleagues and clients and with external organizations.
- Promote Culture of Safety: Demonstrates commitment to personal responsibility and value for safety; communicates safety concerns; uses and promotes safe behaviors based on training and lessons learned.
- Subject to and expected to comply with all applicable University policies and procedures, including but not limited to the personnel policies and other policies found in the University’s Administrative Guide, http://adminguide.stanford.edu.
- Stanford is an equal opportunity employer and all qualified applicants will receive consideration without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law.
Employee Status: Contractual
Requisition ID: 82811