Lecturer in Transmedia Storytelling
The Lecturer role contributes to the delivery of the University’s Strategic Plan in Creative Industries as a key member of the School providing excellence in Research and Innovation, Teaching and Learning, and Service and Engagement. The Lecturer combines sound academic research expertise with teaching experience, is expected to be a course coordinator, and is gaining recognition for their contribution to research, teaching, and postgraduate supervision, and is contributing to community engagement.
OVERVIEW OF SCHOOL AND POSITION CONTEXT
The mission of the School of Creative Industries, within the Faculty of Education and Arts, is to expand beyond the traditional boundaries of the creative industries and build active collaborations with a diverse range of communities, cultural organisations, governments, business and industry partners. We seek to drive innovation that contributes to the social, cultural and economic transformation of our regions and to deliver transformational research with global impact for the betterment of society. Our degrees prepare graduates to expand and apply their creative talents through the development of practice-based skills that are relevant and in demand across the spectrum of creative and other industries.
The School of Creative Industries incorporates a range of creative disciplines that make their own unique contribution to the School, Faculty, University and wider community.
The School is focused on cross-disciplinary delivery of programs including the Bachelor of Creative Industries, the Bachelor of Visual Communication Design and the Bachelor of Communications. This position combines teaching, research and service and will be involved in the delivery, development and continual improvement of courses within each of these programs.
The role is expected to display personal qualities and behaviours consistent with the Individual Contributors Level as outlined in the Leadership Framework.
The UON Leadership framework describes six leadership capabilities for both academic and professional staff. At UON leaders: shape the future, engage beyond the University, work
collaboratively, strive for excellence, drive performance and show courage and respect
At UON we recognise that while leaders exist at all levels, people face different challenges and demands depending on their leadership level. For each Leadership Capability the behaviours reflect how each capability can be observed at different leadership levels in the University.
This Position Description outlines the major accountabilities/responsibilities and the selection criteria against which candidates suitability for the position are assessed. As such, there are specific job requirements that are referred to as Inherent Requirements. Inherent Requirements refer the ability of the candidate/incumbent to:
- Perform the essential duties and functional requirements of the job
- Meet the productivity and quality requirements of the position
- Work effectively in the team or other type of work organisation concerned; and
- Do the job without undue risk to own or others health, safety and welfare at work.
An applicant who has any injuries, illness, disorder, impairment, condition or incapacity that may affect the ability to perform the inherent requirements of the position are encouraged to discuss this with the University to assist in the process of identifying reasonable adjustments that may be required to enable the candidate/incumbent to perform the duties of the position.
- A PhD in a relevant field, or near completion of a PhD in a relevant field.
- Demonstrated ability to develop narratives across multiple delivery channels to create an integrated and coordinated end user experience.
- Demonstrated experience in producing augmented reality/virtual reality content or other forms of interactive/transmedia storytelling.
- The ability to operate in a cross-disciplinary context, teaching across design, communication and creative industries.
- Demonstrated experience obtaining research funding and delivering quality research outputs at a national level; with the ability to translate research into commercial impact and engagement.
- Demonstrated experience in the development, delivery and review of courses and degree programs including the incorporation of contemporary research methods, digital learning platforms, and interdisciplinary approaches.
- Highly developed interpersonal and communication skills including the ability to participate in a team environment.
- Willingness and ability to contribute to governance, organisational administration (including course coordination) and initiatives/activities within the University.
- Knowledge of, and experience in adhering to workplace policies and procedures in the areas of work health safety, equity, diversity and promoting a respectful workplace culture.
- Ability to mentor and supervise undergraduate, honours and postgraduate students.
1. Coding skills and web design and editing skills are highly desirable, but not essential.
CONDITIONS & BENEFITS
Academic Level B from $97,268 to $115,507 pa plus contributory superannuation with Unisuper, attracting a generous employer contribution of 17%.
A range of flexible salary packaging options is also available.
Additional information on benefits and conditions of employment is available via these links; http://www.newcastle.edu.au/about-uon/jobs-at-uon/benefits-at-a-glance http://www.newcastle.edu.au/about-uon/jobs-at-uon
For additional information on the position contact Zoe Carlton, School Executive Officer, on (02) 4913 8774 or Zoe.Carlton@newcastle.edu.au.
SUBMITTING YOUR APPLICATION
Please note: your application must include;
- a statement addressing the selection criteria (4 pages max)
- your CV with contact details for three nominated referees.
Before submitting your application please read the important information and useful tips on what to include - available via this link: Submitting your application
Additional information about our application process is available via this link: Application Process
If you have any difficulties uploading your application please telephone HR Services (+61 2)4033 9999 - and press 2- during business hours (AEST) or email: firstname.lastname@example.org
Apply for Lecturer in Transmedia Storytelling
Already uploaded your resume? Sign in to apply instantly