Deputy Director for Modern Languages
DEPARTMENT: Language Centre
ACADEMIC DISCIPLINE: Modern Languages
POSITION TITLE: Deputy Director for Modern Languages
LOCATION: Suzhou Campus
SALARY: The salary range for the positions is negotiable based on qualifications and experience.
POSITION OPEN DATE: 29 March 2019
ADVERTISEMENT CLOSING DATE: 25 April 2019
JOB ID: 995785
CONTRACT TYPE: Full-time
UNIVERSITY AND DEPARTMENT OVERVIEW:
Xi’an Jiaotong-Liverpool University (XJTLU) is a unique collaborative institution and the first joint-venture university in China to offer both UK (University of Liverpool) and Chinese (Ministry of Education) accredited undergraduate degrees for all programmes. Formed in 2006, the first cohort of students graduated in August 2010. The University now has over 13,000 students studying on campus. The language of instruction is English. XJTLU aims to become truly research-led, and has recently committed significant investment into research development and the expansion of PhD student numbers on campus.
XJTLU is located in the Higher Education Town of Suzhou Industrial Park (SIP). Suzhou has been ranked the 74th most liveable city in the 2018 Global Liveability Index. Additionally, it is well-connected via nearby airports to cities such as Hong Kong, Seoul, Tokyo, and Taipei, and via high-speed rail to other major cities in China. SIP is a major growth zone, including operations run by nearly one-fifth of the Fortune 500 top global companies. Greater Suzhou is now the fourth largest concentration of economic activity in China in terms of GDP, and the SIP has a higher GDP per capita than the UK. The broader Suzhou area encompasses the spirit of both old and new in China, with the historic old town’s canals, UNESCO World Heritage Site gardens, and the I.M. Pei-designed Suzhou Museum attracting millions of tourists annually. SIP offers an excellent quality of life with high environmental standards. The nearby Jinji Lake provides attractive views, by day and by night, and there is a variety of shopping facilities, international and local restaurants, entertainment hubs and nightlife. Suzhou is also home to four international schools.
The Language Centre (LC) is a growing, dynamic and international centre, currently with over 200 full-time teaching staff from twelve different countries. We are involved in the teaching of English for Academic Purposes (EAP), and Modern Languages (currently Chinese, Spanish, and Japanese).
Both the centre and the wider university have a strong commitment to the professional development of LC teaching staff. At the university level, new staff are enrolled free-of-charge on a University of Liverpool postgraduate certificate programme, completion of which leads to fellowship of the UK Higher Education Academy (HEA). The LC also holds regular professional development events and training days. While the LC is a teaching centre, with no specific research remit, some funding is available for staff to present at conferences that are relevant to the work of the centre, provided that this does not interfere with teaching duties.
RESPONSIBILITIES AND DUTIES:
The Deputy Director for Modern Languages is one of two Deputy Directors in the LC. The advertised position is responsible for the provision of all Modern Languages other than English, as well as other areas of work at the discretion of the LC Director. At present, this position’s portfolio includes the following:
- Compulsory and optional credit-bearing Chinese language modules
- Optional credit-bearing Spanish and Japanese language modules
- Chinese, Spanish and Japanese language modules as components of a number of university UG degree programmes
- Chinese and Spanish language modules as optional components of university PG degree programmes
- Out-of-class Chinese, Spanish and Japanese language support services
- Non-credit bearing Practical Chinese and Chinese Summer School
- Overseas Spanish Immersion Course
- Teacher training and development for all modern languages staff
Additionally, the Deputy Director for Modern Languages will work with the Deputy Director for Academic English in supporting the LC Director in:
- Providing leadership to the LC
- Managing Centre finances and resources
- Representing the LC on committees
- Overseeing quality assurance processes
- Hiring and appointing staff
- Managing and reviewing staff work performance
This position also carries a teaching load of up 130 hours per academic year (equivalent to no more than five hours per week during semester teaching weeks).
Applications are invited for the position of Deputy Director for Modern Languages at the Language Centre at Xi’an Jiaotong-Liverpool University (XJTLU), Suzhou, China. Candidates are sought for an August 2019 start, or as close to this as possible.
We are looking for someone with the ambition, creativity and organizational skills to succeed in an exciting environment of fast-paced growth and dynamic change. The successful applicants should be educated to master’s degree level, in the area of language, linguistics or education, and have at least five years of full-time post-master’s relevant teaching/management experience at university level. Additionally, applicants should have a recognized teaching qualification and an excellent command of spoken and written English.
- Master’s Degree centred on the study of language, linguistics and/or education
- At least five years of post-master’s teaching/management experience at university level in one of the modern languages currently delivered by the Centre (Chinese, Spanish, Japanese)
- Significant and sustained experience of management and leadership in a higher education context
- Experience of leading and coordinating large teams of language teachers in diverse languages
Members of Academic Staff are entitled to subsidies for accommodation, travel, and children’s educational, medical insurance, and a one-time relocation allowance is provided. Overseas staff may receive a tax “holiday,” depending on nationality and personal circumstances.
CITIZENSHIP AND VISA REGULATIONS:
Employment at Xi’an Jiaotong-Liverpool University is regulated by Chinese Labour Laws, and must comply with the regulations of the provincial government. These regulations stipulate who is eligible for legal employment with regard to obtaining work permits and visas. Please be advised candidates over 55 may not be eligible for PRC work visa.
Please submit all applications to Academicpositions@xjtlu.edu.cn.
Applications must be submitted in a single pdf file that includes 3 parts in the order of:
- A cover letter specifying your suitability for the role
- A current CV, including date of birth, country of citizenship, and highest degree level
- Contact details for three references
Informal enquiries may be addressed to the Staff Management Team at AcademicPositions@xjtlu.edu.cn. Please quote the position and job ID in your enquiry.
Applications should be received by the closing date stated above.