Assistant/Associate Professor in Gulf Studies with an emphasis on Culture, Identity, and Development
Department Name Department of International Affairs (DIA)
Qatar University Profile:
Qatar University is the national institution of higher education in Qatar. It provides high quality undergraduate and graduate programs that prepare competent graduates, destined to shape the future of Qatar. The university community has diverse and committed faculty that teaches and conduct research, which addresses relevant local and regional challenges, advances knowledge, and contributes actively to the needs and aspirations of society.
Qatar University is an intellectual and scholarly community characterized by open discussion, the free exchange of ideas, respectful debate, and a commitment to rigorous inquiry. All members of the University - faculty, staff, and students - are expected to advance the scholarly and social values embodied by the University.
The College of Arts and Sciences (CAS) houses eleven departments, covering a wide range of undergraduate specializations in the Arts and Sciences including English Literature & Linguistics, Arabic Language, Humanities, Sociology, Social Work, Psychology, International Affairs, Policy, Planning & Development, Statistics, Chemistry, Mass Communication, Biological Sciences, Environmental Sciences, Material Science, and Sports Science. The College also houses five graduate programs in Environmental Sciences, Gulf Studies, Material Science, Statistics, and Arabic Language. Additionally, the College offers a Program of Arabic for Non- Native Speakers. The College also houses newly established research centers namely: the Center for Sustainable Development and the Gulf Studies Center.
CAS faculty members, similar to colleagues at the University, have excellent opportunities to secure intramural and extramural funding for their research ideas. Qatar National Research Fund (QNRF) is a major source of research funding, with individual project funding exceeding 1 million QR /project (5 million QR for exceptional projects), along with student research funding programs. As the national and largest university in the country, Qatar University is the recipient of most of QNRF awards, with many research-active faculty members winning multiple grants.
Duties & Responsibilities
- Teach courses, and advise students, in the area of expertise.
- Contribute to various committees at the Department, College, and University levels.
- Commitment to research and scholarship.
- Other responsibilities as assigned by the Head of Department.
- A Ph. D. in the relevant disciplinary area.
- Relevant teaching experience at the university level.
- A record of academic and research achievements that warrant appointment at the rank.
- The ability to teach in Arabic; and excellent written and oral communication skills in Arabic and English.
- Current Curriculum Vitae.
- Cover letter.
- Statement of teaching philosophy.
- Statement of research plan.
- Contact information for three referees (physical and email addresses as well their telephone contact).
- Copy of highest earned credential/degree. This includes a transcript of the highest degree achieved if graduated from an institution where course work was completed. However, if no course work was completed, then provide a certificate (or a copy) from the registrar of your highest credential-granting institution regarding your highest academic degree.
- Any additional documentation deemed relevant to the application.
- A three-year renewable contract.
- Salary is commensurate with experience.
- Tax-free salary.
- Furnished accommodation in accordance with QU HR policies.
- Annual round trip air tickets for faculty member and dependents in accordance with QUHR policies.
- Educational allowance for candidate's children (eligible candidates only) in accordance with QU HR policies.
- Private health care and health insurance in accordance with QU HR policies.
- Annual leave in accordance with QU HR policies.
- End-of-contract indemnity in accordance with QU HR policies.
How To Apply
- Returning Applicant: Please login in QU Recruitment Online website (https://careers.qu.edu.qa) to update/edit your saved profile. Use this profile to apply for this position.
- New Applicant: You need to setup an account with QU Recruitment Online website (https://careers.qu.edu.qa) and complete your personal profile. Once your profile is complete you may use it to apply for an open Position.