Research Associate/Fellow, Optimisation and Operations Research
3 years fixed-term, full time
$88,135 - $118,115 (Level A/B) and 17% superannuation
The Australian Centre for Transforming Maintenance through Data Science is a joint collaboration between Curtin University, The University of Western Australia and CSIRO, and industry partners Alcoa, BHP and Roy Hill, as well as CORE Innovation Hub and the Minerals Research Institute of Western Australia. The Centre, co-funded by the Australian Research Council through the Industrial Transformation Training Centre scheme, aims to train a new generation of data scientist specialists, equipping them with the skills needed to develop new data science methods for solving complex modelling and optimisation challenges in asset maintenance. This cohort of data scientists will drive an exciting transformation of maintenance practice in the Australian resources industry based on new advances in machine learning, artificial intelligence and optimisation. The Centre involves a team of 20 scientists and engineers at the three research institutes together with practicing engineers and data scientists at the industry partners.
Your new role
A unique opportunity exists for a postdoctoral researcher to help drive the Centre’s optimisation research program. The position will involve research into the development of new optimisation theory and algorithms to solve large-scale optimisation problems related to maintenance scheduling and planning. This will involve a variety of different optimisation techniques such as combinatorial optimisation, constraint programming, evolutionary algorithms, and nonlinear optimisation.
The research fellow will be required to:
- Liaise with industry contacts and assist students to effectively work with teams consisting of both industry and university stakeholders;
- Work across institutions and act as a mentor for a cohort of research students during study and industry placement; and
- Direct and supervise final year undergraduate students and PhD students.
This is an exciting opportunity to apply mathematical optimisation techniques to real-world problems faced by the Australian resources industry.
You will bring to this role
- A PhD in Optimisation or Operations Research (applicants who are close to finishing their PhD will also be considered)
- Demonstrated ability to conduct innovative research
- Track record of research publications and in seeking and obtaining grant funding (relative to opportunity)
- Ability to work with a broad range of people from varying research backgrounds and evidence of strong oral and written communication skills
- Demonstrated ability to work independently under minimal supervision while contributing to overall team performance and proven ability to meet performance deadlines during the course of the project
- Inter-disciplinary research expertise and/or industry experience will be advantageous
What we offer you
Curtin University offers a competitive remuneration and benefits package, a friendly and collaborative work environment, generous leave entitlements, flexible working arrangements, a relocation allowance, generous superannuation, salary-packaging arrangements including childcare, and the potential to support dual-career arrangements.
For details of Curtin’s employee benefits please visit https://about.curtin.edu.au/jobs/
What we need from you
You are encouraged to respond specifically to the selection criteria which can be found in the Academic Role Statement.
Applications close: 5:00 pm, Friday 26 April 2019
How to Apply: To be considered for this role please apply via https://applynow.net.au/jobs/ni/CURTIN601
Valuing Diversity and Inclusion
At Curtin, we are committed to Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander reconciliation, diversity and social justice and aim to create an inclusive environment where our staff and students are valued and inspired. This includes a supportive recruitment process should you require any access assistance.
Explore some more
Professor Ryan Loxton, Curtin University
Phone: +61 8 9266 9218
Please only apply via the attached link. Please do not send your resume direct to the above contact.
Curtin reserves the right at its sole discretion to withdraw from the recruitment process, not to make an appointment, or to appoint by invitation, at any time.